Ferns as aquatic plant?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I heard that Ferns can be grown as water plant, I was wondering if anyone in zone 5 is/has tried?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I heard that Ferns can be grown as water plant, I was wondering if anyone in zone 5 is/has tried?

I can't speak for the requirements of all fern species, but I grow Sensitive Fern in my bog. It's a fern that can grow in full sun if in a wet enough environment. It wouldn't do well in standing water but definitely likes a wet environment. You can see it here on the left of my Great Blue Lobelia. I certainly recommend it for all bog owners.

IMG_6225 copy.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm not sure what type of fern I have, it grows naturally in my wooded areas with Trillium and wild Geraniums.
Is the Sensitive Plant, the same as Sensitive Fern? I tried that in the pond one year
I'm really liking the Lobelia in the bog, does yours comeback the next year if you leave it in the water?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm not sure what type of fern I have, it grows naturally in my wooded areas with Trillium and wild Geraniums.
Is the Sensitive Plant, the same as Sensitive Fern? I tried that in the pond one year
I'm really liking the Lobelia in the bog, does yours comeback the next year if you leave it in the water?

No, sensitive plant and sensitive fern are two very different things.

Great Blue Lobelia is a perennial. Don't know how it does in the bog overwinter since this was the first winter in the bog and it's still way too cold for anything to grow. It should come back.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
We have a great deals of ferns here in the pacific northwest. They like partial sun and generally grow under the tree canopy in the forests. I have seen them as a sore line plant, but never with the base of a plant below the water line.
I think if you plant them in full or partial shade, and in a bog they will thrive. They also like asidic soil, so soil with wood chips or heavy compost.
When the weather warms up around here, I was thinking of giving ferns a go in a small bog. Let me know how your project turns out.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I could try suspending the plant somehow so that only the roots are in water, but my pond is in full sun I'm not sure it would have a chance

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States

Ask a Question