Are these frog spawn or goldfish spawn?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
I'll wait a bit more before I move them to the pond. Sides there are a lot of them. I'll start being serious about moving them when the weather starts being cooler. I think I saw a couple moving "fins".
are they shubunken fry? I iassume
I see uhv fancy ones too , those r harder to spawn
if uhv koi it may eat fry , u need to atleast wait for 3 to 4 weeks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I got one 9 inch koi. I got a comet that's 12 inches and two shubunkins that are 11 inches.

They are in the bog. Guess it's time to wait. Somehow I doubt they are a by product of the fancy goldfish, though a couple were pregnant earlier. I got more fancy goldfish than other single tails.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Once they get a teeny bit larger you'll be able to tell if they're Shubies. Regular-type GF will initially turn that olive color [and will look like miniature wild GF], but Shubunkins will stay a pinkish color -- and what's really obvious is that the eyes of the Shubies will be quite prominent and dark, set against their lighter color. There is a recognizable difference between regular fry and Shubie fry.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I had fish fry in my bog one year Years ago. Cute little things I tried to catch them and toss them back in the pond, didn't do to good.
I'm not sure what a "bog" is, but ..my pond is divided into 2 sections: the upper section app. 1 foot deep holds the waterfall and all of the plants, and then spill into the bottom section that's over 4 feet deep and holds the skimmer box. Fish cannot swim to the upper section, but my question is: can fish eggs find their way to the upper section of the pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Il tell u what i saw female was laying egg and they scatter with splash , some times they flow with water too for few inches and ifsubmurged pump or skimmer is near they can reach a bog or filter ,i saw some eggs in my bog too som how , now if u hv fine media in skimmer at start then it will not make it to upper part

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Only possibilities I can think of....

1- My submersible pump that goes to the bog. I cannot believe that, I only switched to a semi-solid pump like 3 weeks ago, prior to that it was a simple submersible pump with a sponge on the entry hole.

2- The one plant i transferred from the pond shelf to the bog is called Blue ICE. It died and i threw it actually and replaced it but i guess it had eggs on it.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
A year or two ago, as I was cleaning things up before winter, I found a number of shubie babies in a large tub that had never had fish in it. Confused the H*** out of me, until I remembered that I had put a few Water Hyacinths in there to fertilize them. Obviously the eggs hatched before I returned the plants to the main pond. :shame:
John

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Here are more pictures now they're bigger.
Also a shrimp that I guess slipped in the bog from the fifty I dropped in the pond.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    134.1 KB · Views: 211
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    139.8 KB · Views: 207
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    114.5 KB · Views: 239

Ask a Question