do i leave frog spawn in the pond or move it ?

Reaction score
went out this morning to find a big clump of frog spawn in the pond, the fish seem a bit unsure of it, do i leave it there or do i take it out and put it in a wild pond somewhere ? what are the pro's and cons of frog spawn in the pond ?? will the goldfish eat it ?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I leave my frog eggs alone, let what makes it make it. There seems to be tons of tads that slowly disappear. If you don't want the tads in your pond, you could move the spawn before they start to hatch. Sort of your call.

I had 1000's of eggs last summer, in the stream ponds, in the big pond, in the lotus pond. Did not get over populated with frogs.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I put mine in a bucket and take them down to the creek .They clog up the filters and can turn into a hassle here .Way to many .

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
yeah was just wondering if they could cause harm to the fish or to the water quality etc ??

Didn't bother my filter, water quality or fish, but my set up is different than sissy's.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
true addy you have a bog they probably loved that when the got little footsies

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
I'm no expert, but...It's sounds like the eggs may have been laid in sissy's filter... if theyre toads, they dont hang in and by the water like frogs once they develope ...they come and go. even of the tads that make it to being a toad. most will venture off never to be seen again...as tads they all eat alge and present no danger to other pond inhabitants. and i would guess plenty are likely to end up as food. i think frogs are more likely to stay in the vacinity than toads. i rarely get to see the frogs in my pond. just the splash of them diving when i walk out the back door.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
the toads are so cute, they hop around on the ground the size of a small peanut (without the shell) You won't see any then all of a sudden tons of them hopping around.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
OMG, ROFLMAO for sure!!! Good one, Todd, and comments from Addy and JW, my poor dog was sleeping next to me in my recliner, woke her up with my burst of laughter.
OK, since it's coming that time of year, and since I had forgotten, I looked up difference between toad and frog eggs, so I would know. Toad eggs look like that are more often black spots in a line of clear egg sacs, like a string of black pearls. Frog eggs are more often in a glob, also black specks or spots in clear sacs.
So, Mogsie, what kind of frog eggs do you have?! Just kidding. I'm sure a frog expert could tell, but no need for us to need to know. I had tadpoles in my bog last year, I think maybe Bullfrog, as they were quite large, when I was expanding the bog and had to remove the rock. Kept tossing them into the pond, wonder now if I was feeding the koi, or if they made it. :) They way I figure it, free food is free food!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
England has just one native frog over most parts, the Common frog. Theres another frog in the Southern parts, something of a rarity. No chance of confusing frog spawn and toad spawn fortunately, just about everything will eat frog tads in a pond, though, theres going to be plenty of them in a lump of spawn they will be scoffed very fast

Regards, andy

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
In every pond I had eggs, toad, frog, unknown, even with all the toads I saw hopping around they must disperse or a lot get eaten. No over population of them. I think the heron ate a few also since it could not get to the fish.

Ask a Question