Frogs

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
First year with my pond, so this is my first winter. I shut everything down this winter and shut off access to my filter/pump box as frogs loved to congregate in their all summer.

Had plenty of green water this year but was clearing by the end of the season. Well now it’s crystal clear and I can see the bottom perfectly. It’s warmed up and i have no ice so was looking at the pond and can see several frogs laying on the bottom upside down, unmoving. I read that during the winter they burrow in the mud/muck and ride out the season that way. But I have no muck on the bottom, they’re just laying on the liner. Are they maybe dead? I don’t want them decaying when it warms up in a couple months so wondering if I should remove them? Or are they really hibernating (or whatever it’s called that frogs do!)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Sadly, if they're upside down, they've probably departed this world. I would scoop up one of them and check him out. If he's gone you can get the rest before the ice sets in. Sorry.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It’s warmed up and i have no ice so was looking at the pond and can see several frogs laying on the bottom upside down, unmoving. I read that during the winter they burrow in the mud/muck and ride out the season that way. But I have no muck on the bottom, they’re just laying on the liner. Are they maybe dead? I don’t want them decaying when it warms up in a couple months so wondering if I should remove them? Or are they really hibernating (or whatever it’s called that frogs do!)

I don't think your frogs are alive. I see them on the bottom of my pond all the time, but not upside down. Try to remove them, see if they react. That'll give you your answer. I had issues with frogs dying over winter when my pond wasn't being properly oxygenated. Ever since I added my pond breather, things have been good, thankfully. After my first winter, I was so disheartened that I actually considered closing down my pond. Really glad my pond breather solved it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My pond is about 3 ft 10 inches where the frogs are laying. I think it’s plenty oxygenated as I’ve had an air stone in the pond that has kept a good size while all winter so far. Thanks for the advice, I’ll give them a nudge tonight and see if they’re alive.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
they are dead and need to be removed or that can cause water quality problems .If you have mulch in your landscape you can always put them there and cover them up and if they are hibernating they will be safe ,if not they will fertilize the plants .More likely dead

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Please update this as I also have a lot of frogs in my pond in the summer. I always just thought they left to go somewhere for the winter. Now I'm gonna have to check the bottom of my pond!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Please update this as I also have a lot of frogs in my pond in the summer. I always just thought they left to go somewhere for the winter. Now I'm gonna have to check the bottom of my pond!
I haven’t been able to do anything. Shortly after I posted we got snow and ice which covered the top of my pond to the point I can’t see them anymore. I’m not positive they were upside down on the bottom originally, but when I moved one with a stick it floated up and landed on bottom upside down and stayed that way. I’m kinda holding out hope they’re just hibernating and will come to in spring. I know one poster said it’s dead and to remove because it will foul up the water, but right now the water is cold enough I think even if dead it’s not gonna start breaking down until things begin to thaw more.

B

Burd

My bubbler must have froze up. So I jdrilled 3 holes in the ice with a paddle bit, then cut the hose and stuck it down in the one hole hoping to keep a spot of the water open, I saw a big frog moving around down in the water, it was just -14, I can’t believe they can survive that kind if weather. My daughter said just the other da6, I’ll bet the weather is going to kill off all the frogs in the pond. I guess not. Anyone ever see a frog in their frozen pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Unfortunately, if they are upside down they are dead. I think they overwinter in the dirt if the lily pots or whatever leave blow into the pond before the ice covers the surface.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
No, I saw it moving around. The color was good. When they die their whitish.
[/QUOTE]
oops. I didn't see the post date of Dosry5's post. That was what my reply was for. Sorry

B

Burd

oops. I didn't see the post date of Dosry5's post. That was what my reply was for. Sorry
[/QUOTE]

Your ok, the more info the better.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Unfortunately, if they are upside down they are dead. I think they overwinter in the dirt if the lily pots or whatever leave blow into the pond before the ice covers the surface.
And we have a winner. Started the falls back up today. Pulled several frogs out of the skimmer and pond. All looked good....but they were as dead as Joe Biden’s presidential hopes.

Ask a Question