Assessment/introduction

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
On the pergola I understand now, Kind of why I was asking. As you know most plants need lots of sunlight and i was wondering how well the bog would work under a roof. You answered that one, I Like the idea!

On the size rock for the media and discussion on the Big thread, that's why we moved it to a sticky, to get questions and input. This is not a new method but at the same time it seems that more people are trying it and it's a learning curve in the hobby. I'm open minded on this because I can see where this is a questionable change that could go either way, benefit or anaerobic bacteria growth. That's what I would worry about most using the larger stones.

As for my Bog, basically what I have is a water fall that drops into a 600 gallon bare lined pond, all the plants for the most part are floating plants, the muck drops out to the bottom, So each spring and each fall I remove the plants and take a wet-dry vac and suck out the build-up in the bottom. I like the filtering through gravel idea better, but at the time I was trying to add volume to the overall pond and make a place for some of the plants to grow that the Koi wouldn't be able to eat them for more nitrate removal. Simply speaking The water just flows through the roots of water lettuce, parrots feather, snowflake, etc and then returns to the pond.

On the pump to the water falls and filter and to the bog. You could use one larger pump and place valves so as to direct some water in to each system.

No, not a underwater mouse, LOL I had a couple of mice that made a home in the rocks behind where the liner came up behind the water fall, They chewed holes in the wrinkles at the lower side in the corners, causing what started out as a small leak but gradually got worse as the water channeled up through their maze of little tunnels. They chewed through the liner from the back side. lol

No shelves, next pond will not have a shelf above 3 feet, I too have problems with predators, primarily egrets, herons, and Owls, but do have a neighborhood Raccoon that stops by sometimes too. They get on the post and shelves to hunt, next pond will be for Koi, I'll either have no plants in the pond, a upper level pond and or bog for the plants, or I will make a shelf that sits on the bottom and raise each plant up by plastic stands to sit in the pond. Last winter I lost most of my herd and some very nice fish I might add to a stupid Heron, Next pond will have more thought in it to prevent as much as I can of that happening in the future.
Bottom drains, Most fish poop sinks, bottom drains remove it more efficiently than any other method. easier to clean the pond, helps reduce maintenance, and they also add remove the muck out of the system if installed correctly not just move it to another point to break it all down. That being said, I would have to figure out if I was going to run a bog or not, running a bog the bottom drain water would go to the bog, Not running one the bottom drain would go to either a vortex separator or a sieve separator.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You could have your bottom drain go to a separator, have a small pump feed the bog with just water from the pond to keep bottom debris out of it.

Or if your separator just removed the big junk, not bio have that feed the bog.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks for the welcome, JW: I don't think I've seen such a fancy gif before! Quite a FINish, ya know?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi, Addy!

my replies to yours, inline below...

addy1 said:
Welcome brokensword!

welcomefromgang4.gif

&&& Thank you for the welcome!

>>>I looked at the bog build you linked to, not sure I would do it that way. Those large rocks won't do much filtration, imho.........lol, Starting with my first pond, maybe 30 years ago, I have used bogs for the filtration. This one is the biggest, had the room and wanted the plants.

&&& I think the large rocks are just to insure the water gets to the whole of the lower layer of the bog; I don't think much filtration goes on there either.

2) re the bog filter: I've read that the chimney is for backflushing the system. I'm not sure I can visualize exactly what happens, here. Now, I also note that in my diagram, I've NOT chosen to supply the water to the bof via the diffuser's small end but rather, by having a waterfall drop the water from a mechanical bio filter into the chimney. Here, another question rises.
I wasn't sure if this chimney is usually open/empty but for water, but if I fill it with large rocks, ones I can easily take out, will the amount of water from the fall, which fills the chimney and then hopefully bleeds out through the diffuser, be contained by the chimney or will it eventually start to fill the chimney and leak out the top?

>>>water will take the easiest way out, I do not think it will flow up through tight gravel rather than just fill your chimney and out the top of the chimney. You could have a separate feed to the bog to bottom feed it.

&&&& okay; think I had another poster surmise the same thing, so I'll re-invent this wheel. Not sure if I want to get a larger pump or a second pump, so might have to see about putting the bog in front of the waterfall/biofilter.

I suppose as the bog 'fills up' via the various gravel/stones layers, this is likely, right? Is that when the cleaning needs to be done? Or, will the system break down fast enough so that the 'bog filter' never gets that clogged?

>>>> With my larger bogs, after my first pond little ones, I have not had to clean out any of them.

&&&& this is good to know and what I was hoping for.

Okay, back to the backflush; what/how exactly do I do this?

>>>>>You saw the bog thread, my bog is bottom fed via pvc piping, pea gravel, plants. You would only use the clean out pipe, if your pipes get clogged, which they should not if you have a leaf basket in line to collect large stuff.

&&& If your bogs are bottom fed, I'm assuming that IF there were a clogging problem, that there's still someplace for the water to go so that there's not a lot of back pressure on the pump, right? Or is it that the area is so large (the bog) and there IS NO clogging that this means that the pump operates more or less normally?
I don't figure to get any leaves as the outside world will be 'screened' out. Not to say I won't get something but I'm figuring it won't be much with my current plan.

>>>>>For me back flushing is just opening the t we have in line with a ball valve. If we open it the water in the bog runs out, quite rapidly and brings any collected muck with it. So far I have emptied it once about a week ago, water was clear. (we were working on some pipes so had to empty)

&&&okay, I think I get the picture; this helps with the design.

3) IF I have the pump operating all winter (I live in Michigan; not sure that this idea is practical, so any opinions re this part would be welcome as well), what happens to the bacteria/bog system? Does the whole thing go dormant like the flora and fauna?

>>>>>My bog froze last winter, no pump running, as soon as the ice melted it started growing. We never had the green spring start up issue in the pond some have. So yes the bog went dormant and fires back up in the spring.

&&&also good to know; I wasn't keen on operating the pump for the whole year, esp with so little benefit re pond activity/enjoyment.

>>>>>If you are going to have a bio, mechanical filter in front of the bog, yours will stay real clean, but the plants may not be as happy, you will be removing some of the fish poop nutrients the bog likes to have.

&&& yeah, I see this now; would be much better to feed the plants right from the pond. I was only working to fit the bog where I'd already had a 'river' planned. But I'll rethink this and see about relocating the bog. Looking on my project earlier, I don't think I have quite 5' of area as I thought, so moving the bog might be better for this reason as well. Do you think if I had a deep channel instead of a wider, shallower area, that this would be commensurate? Is the bog filtering a volume metric or do I need to be worried more about square footage (area)?

Thanks for the info and I'll look for follow up, Addy!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ha Ha yes I get it! Glad you like it cuz there are more where that one came from.

frogjumping674.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks for following up, fishin.

As noted to Addy, I think the first layer of large rock is merely to insure that the water spreads and links to the whole bog, not necessarily for filtering. The last, top layer is the fine pea gravel as you and the others have advocated.

Addy mentioned a larger pump as well, so I'll keep that in mind but since I had to 'sell' the pond to the 'boss' here with the promise of said patio, I might not have as much leeway in extending the budget as I want/need!

Glad you don't have some sort of underwater rodent as a predator, though it sounds like you have lots of others!

Okay, so no shelves is to keep preds away; I hope to avoid this by enclosing the pond area. Right now, I have a shelf planned and wasn't looking forward to more digging to cut them away. So, I may keep the shelves, for convenience sake. I also heard that a narrow, thin shelf was good for any fry that happen.

If you have a bottom drain, is it passive? Where does it 'drain' to if it's beneath ground level? Seems a submersible pump would do the same. I guess I'm leery about poking any holes in the liner, though I understand plumbing works in a similar manner and those joints can be made water proof.

Thanks again for following up, fishin!

fishin4cars said:
On the pergola I understand now, Kind of why I was asking. As you know most plants need lots of sunlight and i was wondering how well the bog would work under a roof. You answered that one, I Like the idea!

On the size rock for the media and discussion on the Big thread, that's why we moved it to a sticky, to get questions and input. This is not a new method but at the same time it seems that more people are trying it and it's a learning curve in the hobby. I'm open minded on this because I can see where this is a questionable change that could go either way, benefit or anaerobic bacteria growth. That's what I would worry about most using the larger stones.

As for my Bog, basically what I have is a water fall that drops into a 600 gallon bare lined pond, all the plants for the most part are floating plants, the muck drops out to the bottom, So each spring and each fall I remove the plants and take a wet-dry vac and suck out the build-up in the bottom. I like the filtering through gravel idea better, but at the time I was trying to add volume to the overall pond and make a place for some of the plants to grow that the Koi wouldn't be able to eat them for more nitrate removal. Simply speaking The water just flows through the roots of water lettuce, parrots feather, snowflake, etc and then returns to the pond.

On the pump to the water falls and filter and to the bog. You could use one larger pump and place valves so as to direct some water in to each system.

No, not a underwater mouse, LOL I had a couple of mice that made a home in the rocks behind where the liner came up behind the water fall, They chewed holes in the wrinkles at the lower side in the corners, causing what started out as a small leak but gradually got worse as the water channeled up through their maze of little tunnels. They chewed through the liner from the back side. lol

No shelves, next pond will not have a shelf above 3 feet, I too have problems with predators, primarily egrets, herons, and Owls, but do have a neighborhood Raccoon that stops by sometimes too. They get on the post and shelves to hunt, next pond will be for Koi, I'll either have no plants in the pond, a upper level pond and or bog for the plants, or I will make a shelf that sits on the bottom and raise each plant up by plastic stands to sit in the pond. Last winter I lost most of my herd and some very nice fish I might add to a stupid Heron, Next pond will have more thought in it to prevent as much as I can of that happening in the future.
Bottom drains, Most fish poop sinks, bottom drains remove it more efficiently than any other method. easier to clean the pond, helps reduce maintenance, and they also add remove the muck out of the system if installed correctly not just move it to another point to break it all down. That being said, I would have to figure out if I was going to run a bog or not, running a bog the bottom drain water would go to the bog, Not running one the bottom drain would go to either a vortex separator or a sieve separator.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You're going to have to keep up with JW when it comes to 'welcomes' Dr. Dave; seems she sets the bar! Nevertheless, thank you just the same!

DrDave said:
Welcome to the Forum!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Michael, re shelves, it gives you more surface area for oxygen and gas exchange for the same volume of water then if you made it deeper with no shelves. Now a lot of koi keepers don't care about this because they have fancy filtration systems that add O2, but if you are planning something a little simpler then shelves makes it easier to maintain your pond. Sometimes you will even see the correct fish load of a pond determined by the surface area instead of using volume of water.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I've got shelves but I made them 18" deep and never have any problems w/ any predators standing in there. But then I have goldies and can put the plants in there w/o having to deal w/ the koi rearranging the furniture :lol:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
CK: now, that's interesting. How does the surface area of essentially 'the bottom of the pond' dictate the quantity of gas exchange? I would think it would be water surface area that mattered. Is there a formula for determining fish load based on this surface area?

And I probably will be one of those that has a simpler pond; I have a lot already to do with regular gardening and the fish aquariums inside to make new 'to do' lists for myself! At least, I keep telling myself that...

CometKeith said:
Hi Michael, re shelves, it gives you more surface area for oxygen and gas exchange for the same volume of water then if you made it deeper with no shelves. Now a lot of koi keepers don't care about this because they have fancy filtration systems that add O2, but if you are planning something a little simpler then shelves makes it easier to maintain your pond. Sometimes you will even see the correct fish load of a pond determined by the surface area instead of using volume of water.

Ask a Question