At what temp?

Reaction score
Country
United States
At what temperature do I bring in my fish for the winter? I'm only bringing in tiny Mr Chubbs and Trip because they're so small. Chubbs is only like the size of a fingernail still. Right now it's still 80s in the day and 60ish at night. I've never brought a fish in for the winter so I'm not sure who to know when!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Are these goldfish? I'd say whenever you want. Just make sure the water temps match when you do the transfer, or give them time to acclimate.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh yes, sorry they are goldies. I just don't want too long and have a bad outcome. But at the same time I'm putting it off as long as I can cause the Mr doesn't know anyone's coming inside and he's not as...um..pet friendly as me:LOL:

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a small container pond on the back deck that about 90 gallon I'm using for a few of this year's spawn that I'm keeping. I'm not at all worried about the big pond in the yard or the bigger 2 babies in the container pond, there's just the one guy thats so small I'm afraid he won't make it outside at all.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here's how tiny he is

Attachments

• 20190921_092313.jpg
    20190921_092313.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 141
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Here's how tiny he is

Hi. I have had lots of baby fish make it fine through the winter outside. I keep the water moving with either a small air pump or water pump. If you use a water pump you have to make sure the system doesn’t freeze up. We had temps to negative 27 degrees last winter with no problems. The issue of “protecting” one fish from the elements really isn’t a benefit for you or the pond. The healthiest and strongest fish typically will survive and that’s good all around otherwise you will have way too many fish. The odds are the little fish you have was the toughest of maybe 100 other fish that didn’t make it. Personally if you think the other fish will be fine if you overwinter them outside I would leave this one outside too. Good luck with whatever choice you make!

Reaction score
Country
United States
He's my and my son's favorite fish or I wouldn't worry. His body is round like a BB and he swims in fast little spurts.
Has anyone else had babies survive outside in winter? I'm probably worrying way too much :LOL:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
ALL of our babies have survived outside. We've had babies survive that we didn't even know we HAD until they were big enough to spot the following year. (I mean fish babies. Our human babies all lived inside with us. Haha!)

Where are you located again? I wouldn't leave fish in our patio pond, but I'd have no concern about leaving them in the big pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
If you don't get temps that would freeze your patio pond solid, I would just leave them right where they are. I know we think we're being kind by bringing them indoors, but in reality they would probably prefer to stay put.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
He's my and my son's favorite fish or I wouldn't worry. His body is round like a BB and he swims in fast little spurts.
Has anyone else had babies survive outside in winter? I'm probably worrying way too much :LOL:
I started with 7 fish 10 years ago. I have bought about a half a dozen since then. I probably have about 100 fish now and I never take them in for the winter or use a heater. I'm in Chicago so it is definitely colder here than by you. It is something you definitely do not need to worry about.

Ask a Question