ATP's Front Yard Pond!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
@SarahT -- how long have you had your sweet potato vine? When I had it in my flower bed, it made an enormous tuber - I am talking gigantic - like a football! I love the thought of using it for trailing down and spreading but I wonder if the tuber would be ok in the bog?
It's one of the ornamental varieties, not an actual edible sweet potato. It has been in the bog 6 or so months (I'm in Florida) and no tuber, just roots. I've done a little root pruning, easy as pie. Here's a pic; it's dead center with a "black taro" behind it; it all looks sort of messy, as I've been doing some rehab on the bog.

Attachments

• sweet potato in the bog.JPG
    sweet potato in the bog.JPG
    308.5 KB · Views: 15

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
That doesn't surprise me what surprises me is the two of us playing Gardner and fish keeper. If anyone ever did a line up we would surely not be picked for owning garden ponds
That is so true, nothing beats being able to walk out your back door and enjoy the sound/visual of running water/waterfalls, and all the fish/other wildlife it attracts. Sitting out on my back deck at this very moment listening to the frogs doing their thing.
915FA4C4-364A-4CBD-86E6-EF2576F56B5C.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
It's one of the ornamental varieties, not an actual edible sweet potato. It has been in the bog 6 or so months (I'm in Florida) and no tuber, just roots. I've done a little root pruning, easy as pie. Here's a pic; it's dead center with a "black taro" behind it; it all looks sort of messy, as I've been doing some rehab on the bog.
This one was ornamental, too. I was just astounded at the size of that thing. Maybe it was a slightly different variety. I had one that was the deep dark purple and one that was chartreuse. They are very pretty! I had them in the ground for about 3 years before I dug them up.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I was going to suggest forget-me-nots too. Mine is planted bare-root between the rocks at the bottom of the waterfall. It spreads over top of the water and up the rock wall. The plant would be larger, but every spring the toads mate in it and break it apart.

plants - iris, forget-me-nots 2019-8-16.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
This one was ornamental, too. I was just astounded at the size of that thing. Maybe it was a slightly different variety. I had one that was the deep dark purple and one that was chartreuse. They are very pretty! I had them in the ground for about 3 years before I dug them up.
Thanks for the heads up, I'll keep an eye out for a "Little Bog of Horrors."

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Pond is clearing nicely! Nice to be able to finally see the fish (they come out at night with the lights on :unsure:). I did lose one today to what looked like Dropsy. Had me re-thinking my plan to quarantine fish even to the point of setting up my QT tank in the basement. If I had quarantined these fish I may have been able to save this one.

After I took these pictures I planted some Creeping Jenny and Canna in the bog. Placed a good size plant order as well. Cant wait to see it grown out!
28DEB0E7-235E-4866-B7AA-C3515AF67696.jpeg
0B738E53-35D9-452A-9A80-0E5EF949D9F7.jpeg

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I was going to suggest forget-me-nots too. Mine is planted bare-root between the rocks at the bottom of the waterfall. It spreads over top of the water and up the rock wall. The plant would be larger, but every spring the toads mate in it and break it apart.

View attachment 150842
Thanks! Added some Forget-Me-Nots to my order after seeing this pic :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
For a new pond a really fast grower like water cress is a good choice and it will allow other plants to get established without breaking the bank with plant stores.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Your pond is looking beautiful. Can't wait to see it with all your plants.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Much better than a boring oval . Imo
OK I'm going to catch flack for that one after all @cas Has an oval and it's one of my favorites on the site

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Its been a while since I posted an update. Things got busy! I am glad I started the pond in early March or it may have taken the entire summer.

All in all everyone is going very well. The pond has been amazingly clear. I have 4 lillies growing all at different stages. I have mostly planted the bog and things are slowly started to grow. i have added quite a few bog/marginals around the pond and everything is alive..lol. I have noticed a green slime type algae starting to form on the botton and around the plants. I can remove it with a net. Not too worried yet and hoping its just a "phase". The Grey Tree Frogs found it weeks ago and almost keep us awake at night with their shrill calls. There are tadpoles which i assume are from them. Had a few bullfrogs stop by, stay for a while then leave.

Only issue has been the fish! Should have listended to my gut and quarantined. I have a saltwater tank and wouldnt think twice about adding a fish without first putting it through a full quarantine. The fish looked great when I bought them and no signs of disease. Shortly after adding them to the pond they started to display dropsy type symptoms with red marks on body. I notice them flashing and my guess its starting with a parasite that turns into a bacterial infection. I have lost 4 fish, have two in the pond that have had minimal flashing and a poor koi in the basement (a week) that I am treating with anti parasite and antibiotics. He appears to be doing better but if he survives I am not sure if his popped out eyes will ever recede back into his head :unsure: :inpain:.

Anyway here is a video of where the pond is currently. Still need to run the electrical and finish off the sitting area, but i would say its about done.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Bravo.
Don't be to hard on your self, koi are not the toughest breed. Though the water is clear it's still not cycled and mature.

From looking at the water you'll probably not going to get green water. but don't be surprised if the green string algae appears. It will make the now algae free pond start to look like a slimy pond. It is part of the growing pains.

I'm probably in the minority where I feel a pond as we strive for. is a year or two out once it's up and running. It takes some time for all the occupants to find there new home.
While yes there is bacteria in on and around d everything . Seeding with a bacterial bba though will add more of what you have it should also add a little of what you may not have as yet.

One of the reasons I like Nualgi as it is Diatoms and such a bit different then straight bacteria. And they will feed on what gives food to algae

I love the recessed lilly pots i wish someone had thought of it and mentioned those to me i hate those pots sitting on the shelf

Ask a Question