ATP's Front Yard Pond!

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Sorry to hear about your fish. Your pond looks really pretty. I can't wait to see it when the plants start to mature.

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Bravo.
Don't be to hard on your self, koi are not the toughest breed. Though the water is clear it's still not cycled and mature.

From looking at the water you'll probably not going to get green water. but don't be surprised if the green string algae appears. It will make the now algae free pond start to look like a slimy pond. It is part of the growing pains.

I'm probably in the minority where I feel a pond as we strive for. is a year or two out once it's up and running. It takes some time for all the occupants to find there new home.
While yes there is bacteria in on and around d everything . Seeding with a bacterial bba though will add more of what you have it should also add a little of what you may not have as yet.

One of the reasons I like Nualgi as it is Diatoms and such a bit different then straight bacteria. And they will feed on what gives food to algae

I love the recessed lilly pots i wish someone had thought of it and mentioned those to me i hate those pots sitting on the shelf
Well, my concern is that I now have a parasite that will continue to effect fish that I add. My guess its it may be flukes and I could do a few rounds of prazi. I have been watching the two remaining closely for flashing behavior. They are tougher fish than I thought. The one I have in quarantine was half dead when I pulled him out and is getting better day by day. My saltwater fish never would have recovered like this one has.

So, I guess my attempt to quicly increase the bio load for the sake of the plants has failed. I dont want to add more fish until i know they wont just soccumb to what the others have. I could always dump a bunch of Sodium Nitrate but I think I will just be patient.

I will give that Nualgi a try. Thanks for the tip.

Thanks for the idea of the recessed pots. I do prefer it over being able to see the entire pot. I wish I had made them a little deeper because its impossible to get all the gravel removed from the bottom when placing the pot.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It's almost impossible to avoid parasites etc with an outdoor pond. The first frog duck toad Mole could be carrying . It's not like a aquarium where we have complete control

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
One of the reasons I like Nualgi as it is Diatoms and such a bit different then straight bacteria. And they will feed on what gives food to algae
Ended up ordering and adding the Nualgi. The string/hair algae is getting worse. I have been removing as much as I can with a net manually. Of course this is all happening right before a family party this weekend and everyone is excited to see the NEW pond :cry: I guess its a sign pond is maturing. Hopefully, the plants start getting some nutrients and start growing.

Anyway, kids spent the evening after school catching tadpoles and feeding them the algae I am trying to get rid of...lol. Seeing how excited and entertained they were put a big smile on my face and reminded me of one of the reasons I built it in the first place.
DAC5EF20-8DFD-4A32-844B-9EC87131AAD9.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hair algae is probably the most trying in the hobby . it can disappear quickly or it can take a year for the pond to balance out depends a lot on your location and your water etc. This is where so many turn to chemicals to solve the problem. Hyacinth to shade the pond . water crerss for rapid growth. some fox glove achanarras for in the water plants can help. But it's time and patience that is whats needed.
this is how i planted my bog right after it was built . i had hair starting before i got this bog running and once it got fired up it only took a week for most of the algae to disappear, two weeks and not a trace... i chose mainly fast growers like papyrus,
monkey claw, creeping jenny, iris, and purple lustrife, a local invasive and cannas Like i have said before i would all but shut down the spill bowl and throw your circulation to the bog. give it as much food to grow with as many gph you have within reason. i did not throw 12,000 gph at my bog but i am pushing a good 3,500 or 4,000 try not to squeeze the string algae as it's spores will squeeze out when gathering it remove it gingerly and quickly don't let the dripping water get in the pond.

Nualgi is not a miracle cure it's a culture to help in getting the pond balanced. use as directed and you'll see the algae should start to change slowly and bubble at the top and float to the surface

.. This photo was on 5/16
first year with new  bog  (1 of 1)-2.jpg

this photo was taken last weekend
first year bog  (1 of 1).jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
yes. it had some small tears in the plastic cmp, and i didn't want any water getting out through the snorkel. it all has to travel into the matrix blocks and then the 30 inches of gravel

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@ATP put some canna in your bog a great decreacrative plant that grows fast and has beautiful colors. That will help to compete against the dreaded hair algae.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I agree that parasites are probably inevitable in an outdoor pond. Sometimes the life cycle includes other animals like snails, which can arrive on plants, or in visiting amphibians. We can probably select for resistant fish, as we do in our farmed livestock, and treat those that are more sensitive, like your koi. I’m glad they’re doing better!

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@ATP put some canna in your bog a great decreacrative plant that grows fast and has beautiful colors. That will help to compete against the dreaded hair algae.

I have some. Growing very slowly. I have some others in pots, just need to put them in the bog.

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Pond is officially done as of today. Finally, got the electic run, covered up any liner that was still showing and finished the sitting area. Still will be doing more planting but the construction type work is complete!

Still have 2 of the original 7 butterly koi. Whatever killed the first 5 seems to no longer be an issue for the two left. Guessing they have built up immunity. They are doing great, no flashing and getting fat. Added a third today after a quarantine period with salt and proactively treated for flukes and a few other common parasites. Fingers crossed, as of tonight he is already hanging on with the other two.

Still dealing with the green string algae. So far its maneagable and seems to be getting better. Water is crystal clear which I attribute to the bog mechanical filtration. I still have zero nitrates so plants are struggling. Hopefully, with 3 fish and countless tadpoles they will start to get some nutrients.

Very happy with how it came out! Neighbor stopped by to see how it looks and said "Wow, looks like its always been here!" I didnt say anything but that has to be the best complimant yet :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looks fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can see the fuzz around the lilies that can be a double edge sword, while the lilies love calmer waters the string likes faster or dead still. A power head mid pond pushing toward the intake may help .

The rest of the pond is a curb appeal master piece..

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Oh wow! It looks great! And it does indeed look like it's been there forever. A masterpiece indeed!

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
What a very pretty pond. It looks awesome. Keep us posted with pictures as your pond matures.

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Looks fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can see the fuzz around the lilies that can be a double edge sword, while the lilies love calmer waters the string likes faster or dead still. A power head mid pond pushing toward the intake may help .

The rest of the pond is a curb appeal master piece..
Thanks! Yes, I have thought about adding a few power heads. Aquascape makes a 12v one that would be easy to connect to the low voltage wire I have for the lights. Didnt realize the string algae like the fast and slow water, guess it makes sense by the way it grows. Since using the Nualgi (sp) I have noticed that its not getting much worse and if anything its dying back.

Ask a Question