ATP's Front Yard Pond!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I stole it from my pool. It’s just a pool skimmer net attachment. Works well and fits the intake bay perfectly, it’s just so big and I don’t want anyone noticing it like you did..lol. I would try ordering another one or go to one of the big box stores, they should have them.
THE NET IS POND WEAPON NUMBER 1 ,2 AND 3

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
An established bog and i also added an air bladder in the snorkel to really boost the o2 content for the bacteria. it took some time.
I have some hair algae going now as the main bog is starting over. I am not feeding the fish much and they have cleared off their favorite grazing areas. which is at least half the boulders in the deep area and they are working there way to the vertical sides. Just use tenderness in removing the hair algae don't squeeze the stuff as it will release spores into the water and bloom even more.
About a week after the bog was fired up i had green algae but thats gone and the hair is fighting but seems to be loosing. I'd expect i'll have hair algae till july when the bog plants get going .
I'm going to pull the forget-me-nots that are around hobbit falls and bring them up to the bogs. and replace them with some moss that won't over grow hobbit falls.
I am contemplating removing all the plants in the moss and pitcher plant bog as and i know this sounds so terrible i have tons or tiny white violets growing in the pitcher plant bog. What i would really like is a golf course type look with the moss i have that grows like a putting green and buy new pitcher plants and remove EVERYTHING from that bog and start over.
this is the moss im thinking of going with it's the deep green. The first pic has a ton of a type of duck weed that i really like as well
View attachment 150688
View attachment 150689
Have some of the moss you gave me last year is growing well and nice green. It established itself on the rocks coming from my bog return. It’s actually got a pretty good hold on the rock, it diverted the water around itself, so it looks like a little island.

I would say I will take pics but you know how I am, so umm yeah.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Glade some of it made it ,

i'm thinking of pulling out all the moss and pitcher plants in the peninsula and use that moss that i have here as too many other plants made there way in there. Creeping jenny iris . violets and horse tail rush have a strong foot hold in there . so the idea is make like a putting green with that moss and pitcher plants

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Most moss will not grow in the sun UNLESS it has its feet in water . some will do ok if the edge is in the water and it can constantly drink or is on soils thats keeping it moist from below.

It's moss from all over. some was even ordered from a farm in Tenn
Yes, part is in the water, seems to be doing just ok. We will see how it does long term. Some of my moss seems like it could actually start a leak the way it "wicks" water out of the pond where its established on rocks.

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Got the bog partially planted this weekend and added some bog plants to the pond edges between the rocks. Also planted a juniper in between the bog and intake bay. Also, had our first visitor this morning in the bog. Seems to be happy there and didnt move all day. Kids pulled another 3 frogs out of the pool that we will probably stick in the pond.

Here are the plants I have added so far.

Bog:
Pickerel Rush
Taro
Cardinal flower
Planning to add some Canna in the back and some smaller plants in the front

Pond
Dwarf variegated sweet flag
Dwarf horstail
marsh fern
creeping Jenny

Water lilies
Wanvisa
Purple violicious

4A403253-4123-4DA4-AD30-D6F952D43772.jpeg
055ED764-5DA5-4EC4-8B20-D61C45F87EF7.jpeg
FB334CD4-BEB3-4409-9F04-22E717620EFB.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Dwarf horstail
beware of this one it can grow like wild fire in the water and out . and it can take root i just ripped out a bunch if you want more just say the word. it went from a dozen shoots to about a 100 in one year

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@ATP i've said it before you made short work out of a all hands on project it came out very well. Love love love that picture looking out from the driveway and across the yard killer clouds and colors with the trees budding out

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
beware of this one it can grow like wild fire in the water and out . and it can take root i just ripped out a bunch if you want more just say the word. it went from a dozen shoots to about a 100 in one year
Yikes! I was thinking I would be lucky if I even noticed it with how small it is. You have the dwarf variety?

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@ATP i've said it before you made short work out of a all hands on project it came out very well. Love love love that picture looking out from the driveway and across the yard killer clouds and colors with the trees budding out
Thanks! Didnt feel like "short work"! I knew I had to get the majority done before the spring/summer excitement started, so I was motivated. I am very happy with it and there are only a few minor things I would change. Its definately been a fun, challenging project. Thanks for all your insight and advice! I dont know how it would have turned out without the help of you and other in this forum.

We had storm coming through tonight, which probably enhanced the look of the clouds.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
One year I planted dwarf horsetail bare-root among the rocks in my pond. At the end of the season the clump was only maybe 6" wide and not very impressive. I decided I wanted to try it in another location. When I went to remove it, the root system was easily over a foot wide and a foot long. After seeing that I decided to toss it.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So neatly planted....................wait for it! Soon you will be pulling the unreal excessive growth.

Looks great!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Yikes! I was thinking I would be lucky if I even noticed it with how small it is. You have the dwarf variety?
Pond looks fantastic. You did a great job with it. If you love the look of the horsetail, you could plant it in a pot o' pebbles (I know, GPF. heresy!) with a few holes in the pot and that can help control, but not stop its growth. You'd get less benefit from its water clarifying properties, but it's easier to yank out a pot and cull the potload than roots in the bog pebbles. (This works with papyrus.)
(Maybe I should have posted this under an anonymous username. Suggesting plant in a pot in a bog!)
I can't wait to see your grown-up bog pictures this summer.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Your loosing the point of the bog. the chemical and fine sediment filter is part of this feature, it's the plants. While the plants around the pond is great in softening the edges the plants can absorb nutrients from the water BUT they can't do much in fine mechanical filtering and they are exposed to multiple more nutrients being in the bog. When the pea soup and then string algae starts thats when youll need the bog full of plants . in time the bog without plants it may control the balance but that's a longer road

Ask a Question