ATP's Front Yard Pond!

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
with your odd ball shaped pond an extra five feet sounds like a lot but look at it this way you lay the rubber down and as your setting boulder they tug a little here and the bends eat up 6 inches in a fold too keep things tight to the walls. or worse you loose a side to a collapse.

Signed Gun shy
Yikes! Sorry, to hear about your bog. That seems like a nightmare. At least you have your back up bog while you get it fixed.

I hear you loud a clear and why I waited to order the liner until the pond was dug so I could measure properly. These intake bays and bogs definately change the calculations from the online calculators. To be safe I think I will go with 30 X 40. I have been toying with the idea of making the bog a little wider and this might give me the leeway just in case i need it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would place the liner see how it works before you make it larger if you have the extra material the roll the rubber back and finish the extra excavation. Normally I'd say becareful of stray dirt and rocks getting between the fabric and liner but I can see your very organized.

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I would place the liner see how it works before you make it larger if you have the extra material the roll the rubber back and finish the extra excavation. Normally I'd say becareful of stray dirt and rocks getting between the fabric and liner but I can see your very organized.
Yes, that was my plan. Good tip on the stray rock getting between. Hadnt thought of that. But, you are right probably would have noticed it.

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Not even above freezing here in Upstate NY but that didnt stop UPS Freight from delivering my replacement spillway bowl. This thing is really pretty nice! I have tried putting it closer to where the sitting area will be and it kinda blocks the view of the top part of the pond. Tried it right at the very end and that was ok. Placed it where it is now and i think i like that spot the best.

A84C0717-7F21-43BD-A833-E8246FEB4572.jpeg
where it is now and i think I like this location the best.

I can hook up a 3/4 to 1-1/2 line to this thing. I can either fill it with gravel and make it an extension of the bog or leave it empty with a light at the bottom and really crank up the flow.

I think it will be a nice edition to a front yard pond and it really stands out.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
when those spillways are placed in the bog its a pretty cool look , have the water spilling out 90 degree to the other falls even if its just more current and no drop

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
when those spillways are placed in the bog its a pretty cool look , have the water spilling out 90 degree to the other falls even if its just more current and no drop
Hadnt thought of that. I wanted to get it as close to the end to get more water flow from the top end of the pond down to the intake bay but i do like it more toward the bog. Aquascape makes a low voltage power head that I may get to increase flow if I need it.

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Picked up the liner today from a local pond builder/pond shop. Price was competitive with the online prices and didnt havent to risk shipping. 30ft x 40ft! Took 4-5 guys to load in my truck, I was able to get it out of the truck bed on my own but its heavy. I am going to need at least two others to help me get it in the pond.

Dug some holes for the lilly pots and one deeper for a lotus pot on the upper shelf. Ended up going with oil drain pans for the lilly containers.

Not sure if its the freezing temps, or the vertical walls drying out but you can see where some of the face has eroded a bit. The shelves feel very solid when you step on them, however, doesnt take much for the face of the vertical walls to crumble. The soil is also composed of a what looks like shale rock, and a lot of it. Very sharp small pieces that I will never completely get out. Right before adding the liner and underlayment, I am going to clean up all the vertical/horizontal edges the best i can, put down a layer of sand and pray the 8 oz underlayment does the trick! Tonight, is the last night of the freezing temps so hopefully that breaks any freeze thawing that is happening and damaging the walls.

B3B64667-6FA3-4775-9BFA-129B0828F324.jpeg
82C00182-D49B-466F-9A87-92971B38BA92.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Nice! It's not at all unusual for the edges of the excavation to collapse a bit and round off. No soil can hold itself up very long at 90º. Orange paint = water line?

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Nice! It's not at all unusual for the edges of the excavation to collapse a bit and round off. No soil can hold itself up very long at 90º. Orange paint = water line?
It does. I like having that visual. Once the liner is in I might steal the kids sidewall chalk and draw it in again.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh YOU are missing a step my good man you want to hand tamp the horizontals and if a lot of shale sticking out use a hammer and a 2x to lay 2x against the wall and hit the 2x walls are lesser of a risk then is the floors but still need to spend some time on them. 8 oz is pretty tough. use weiss sheers / scissors to cut it or make sure you have new utility blades

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My walls floor had a bunch of shale sticking out and a solid rock wall. The carpet padding did a fine job.

Every piece I pulled out another showed up. Break one, wall crumbled and more shale showed up.

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My walls floor had a bunch of shale sticking out and a solid rock wall. The carpet padding did a fine job.

Every piece I pulled out another showed up. Break one, wall crumbled and more shale showed up.
Yes! The first foot was sand that the builder must have put down, so I am using that to line the bottom along with the underlayment.

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It's helpful. I put my laser level in the pond on a cloudy day and traced the line with a grease pencil.
I went out a night with a headlamp and did it. Great little tool! I have used it a lot on this build
CC96DE0E-D293-4488-B872-810E0B573A36.jpeg
. I got the detector too and mainly use that during the day. I am sure I will find many more uses for it, my wife already borrowed to hang some pictures.

Ask a Question