Attaching liner to boulders.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Although attaching the liner to the rock is doable, I have yet to see mentioned how one would hide the necessarily exposed liner and retain the original natural look. There is certainly nothing natural about mortar or concrete (or rebar) no matter how you attempt to disguise it. This would end up looking a little hodge-podge.
Removal and returning the boulders to their original position after the liner has been installed does not incorporate the addition of any artificial material which would corrupt the original aesthetics. The resulting pond should appear just as the photo that I edited.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you all for all of your input. Your ideas are really appreciated. I was hoping to keep it as simple as possible, so I'm going to think on it for a while yet. The picture of my finished pond was amazing. It will keep me motivated. Thank you again.

jb510

We’re going to need a bigger shovel
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I know this is an ancient thread, but I found it looking for ideas as to how to do something very similar so I thought I'd share my solution here for whomever else might find it in the future. When I'm all done I'll create a new thread with before/after pictures and such.

I have several large natural boulders (way to large to move) and I really wanted a pond set up against them. What I ended up doing where needed though was to create a wood sill (4x4) along the edge of the rocks that is anchored by rebar through the 4x4 and under/into the rocks. This is surprisingly sturdy (I can jump up and down on it). The rebar is only 2' long and it actually goes into the seam between to rocks. I was prepared to drill into the rock if needed (hammer drill) but didn't need to thankfully. Liner will go up and over the wood, then smaller rocks will sit on top of the wood ledger.

Note: this 4x4 is actually clear redwood that I salvaged from a 50 year old wood retaining wall I took down a few years ago. I love to reuse old redwood that would have otherwise gone to the landfill.

Attachments

• 2021-05-10 at 9.27 AM.jpg
    2021-05-10 at 9.27 AM.jpg
    340.4 KB · Views: 171
  • 2021-05-10 at 9.25 AM.jpg
    2021-05-10 at 9.25 AM.jpg
    350.3 KB · Views: 175
  • 2021-05-10 at 9.46 AM.jpg
    2021-05-10 at 9.46 AM.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 182

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very neat idea, a bit of work but that will look fantastic!

Ask a Question