Autumn Food?

Reaction score
Another question to the group.

Has anyone started their autumn (lower in protein) pellet feed yet?

I typically use a summer feed, high in protein for packing on growth all summer (which is fairly long here in North Carolina). And then a fall/spring feed when the season starts to cool.

Looking forward to hearing if you've changed your feed patterns yet, or if you feed the same type of food throughout the standard spring-summmer-fall season?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I need to order some more food i am getting low..
i think i will get a smaller high pro and a large fall food

Reaction score
That's where I am at now. I have enough summer feed for prob 2 more days and the days are still warm here. I opened up the fall feed bag today and threw that in. But I'm thinking I perhaps should bite the bullet and buy a tad more summer feed...

I've never tried rice...I'm gonna try that tomorrow, I think. We do veggies like peas and such and that goes over well. Tried steamed carrots last week, but the fish did not care for it. I thought they would because of the slightly sweeter flavor, but I didn't get a bite from the koi or the goldies. I tried apples a few weeks back, and that wasn't taken either.

I think I've got a finicky bunch. LOL!

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
i use the wheetgerm food in autumn and spring ..but havent started it yet as im trying to fattern up my young ones ...some are still pretty small so i have increased feeding to 4 times a day

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat, stroppy. Thinking I should be continuing to fatten for another 4 weeks perhaps. Sounds like I'll be making a run to the fish shop to buy more protein feed....

Reaction score
I started the wheatgerm food about a week ago. The weather has been near 60 and the water has cooled down. Next week its supposed to get back near 90. So i guess it will be back and forth until the weather stabilizes.

Reaction score
makes sense. We had a few days of cooler mornings here, so I used the autumn feed. But today was 85, so I went out and bought more summer feed. Want to keep packing on the pounds as long as I can...

It's weird to be thinking of fall already...but it's clearly around the corner. Sigh!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Here is a tip for everyone; ;):claphands:
Save your Gaterade or Snapple bottles. Wash them right after use and make sure they are dry. Then when you buy your Koi food in that 20# bag, you have containers to put it in. The advantages are:
1. no bugs in the food.
2. it stays as fresh as the day you opened it.
3. much easier to carry to the pond.
4. easier to store.
5. Plus I offer bottles at my cost to customers, that gives them the advantage of volume buying without having to do it. .:banana:
I also use it for pre-measured bottles of pond salt. The small bottles are perfect for a pound of salt.

If you have several different varieties of food, color code the caps or make labels for ID

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I got my 3 jugs of koi food today...
And a 22" loki net ...For my relocation program :D

Ask a Question