Autumn/Water pond plant advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm after some advise regarding pond plants for this Autumn/Winter. I have just cleaned out my pond after a few years and have decided to renew the plants. I have around 9 goldfish in the pond currently and it is pumped and filtered. I would like to know if it is worth adding plants at this time of year or should I wait til the spring? The pond is pretty bare and I'm worried about oxygen for the fish, therefore s
2023-10-0914.33.497690385585578019787.jpg
hould I add oxygenators and if so what will survive the winter? TIA.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Where are you located? I had to do a save the fish transfer , 10 degrees, fish, lilies ended up in a new stock tank, minimal plants. In December, the hot tub pond started leaking.

They inhaled the lilies, killed off a few.

This winter I have put in a lot of anacharis, parrots feather, water willow, so they have something to eat.

If we have cold I have a pond breather to keep a hole open in the pond, if we get ice.

So make sure they have alage or some sort of plants to nibble on.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Addy1 I'm in Hampshire in the UK. It's a small pond and I'm wondering if I should sink some Oxygenators in it such as Elodea Densa or Hornwort to keep them happy through the winter? I wondered if I should wait til Spring to add marginal plants?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If it is pretty bare of plants I would add some. My hornwort just poffs away in the winter, the anacharis the fish nibble on.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay. Thank you. I had been thinking I should do, but didn't want to waste any of the plants through the winter.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Marginals can be started if winter hardy. I started all of mine in Nov. We are not always a real cold winter.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The hornwort poofs than comes back in the spring. I get a forest of it every summer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Water Hawthorn does great in cool weather! You can plant it in the same pot with a water lily. When the lily is going to bed for the season, the Hawthorn is just waking up!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you very much. I shall look for some winter Hardy marginals and Water Hawthorn to start with to at least get the planting going.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Just remember that "oxygenator" is a misnomer - all plants expel oxygen during the day and then take it in it at night as part of photosynthesis. Underwater or aquatic plants work the same way.

@addy1 is talking about the fish having something to eat. If oxygen is a concern, make sure you have an aerator or waterfall running in the pond. Moving, circulating water is far more valuable for oxygenating water than plants are.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Get an air pump and put an air disc on the bottom of the pond. That will provide oxygen by agitating the surface and it works day and night, unlike plants.

Personally, I would wait until spring to add more plants. Even hardy marginal.plants need some time to get established before cold weather sets in. I wouldn't risk them at this time of the year.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hi all, I'm after some advise regarding pond plants for this Autumn/Winter. I have just cleaned out my pond after a few years and have decided to renew the plants. I have around 9 goldfish in the pond currently and it is pumped and filtered. I would like to know if it is worth adding plants at this time of year or should I wait til the spring? The pond is pretty bare and I'm worried about oxygen for the fish, therefore sView attachment 160818hould I add oxygenators and if so what will survive the winter? TIA.
No you should add an air stone and pump

Ask a Question