Baby fish are so cute to watch.....

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
No idea how old my babies are, but they are in the 1/2" range, with the 2 biggest ones pushing 1" (that's length without tail).

• When I feed with baby brine shrimp, I turn off the tank's filter just prior to adding them. The fry have learned this routine of mine, and like cats & can openers..... It's so funny to see all these little fishy faces rush to the front of the tank -- I swear, I think they're wagging their tails in anticipation :)
  • Some of the older babies seem to have a preference as to being top feeders or bottom feeders... The smallest ones still graze around mid-tank.
  • I recently made some gel fry food, and will put a small chunk in the tank where they can get to it easily (and where I can get to it later to suck it out). Most of the fish I've seen eating it simply graze or nibble, but I've observed a couple of the fish act like they are predators, and attack the food, giving it a little shake as they take a bite or 2. Soooo funny!
  • And those little fat bellies.... I've notice anatomical differences between the stages of the very smallest, where as they get older, the belly-bulge happens where you would expect a belly to be. But when they're teeny, the belly area that bulges isn't in proportion to their little bodies -- that looks funny!
  • And what is it about fish and bubble streams! I've seen adults go for bubble roller coaster rides, but every so often one or another of the babies will do it. Scared me at first -- thought I had too much air and was afraid the babies would be injured by the current. But no, little buggers are doing it on purpose :)

Ask a Question