Baby Goldfish Fry

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here are a couple of pictures looking from different directions:

View attachment 154039
View attachment 154041

View attachment 154042

I'm thinking that you'd want at least 2,000 gallons to house koi, plus a really good filtration system. They need a lot of room and the ability to deal with a great deal of fish waste. Others here on the forum who have more experience with koi could probably give more specific advice on koi-keeping!
That is a beautiful pond. What a peaceful and relaxing sanctuary. Thanks.

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
That is a beautiful pond. What a peaceful and relaxing sanctuary. Thanks.
Thank you! It really has changed the entire character of the yard (in fact, it kind of is the yard now, given that it takes up about a third of the available garden space). I think that had I had access to an excavator, the entire garden would have ended up being water!

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
As was advised if you have koi remove them as they are going to cause water quality issues for you in the future as they grow.

Really, not to just the OP but to all new keepers of animals. Understand what animal you are getting and it’s needs and can you in fact meet it’s needs in this case with the habitat you have created.You should know the exact species of fish you are purchasing and consider their needs before you put them in your pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
As was advised if you have koi remove them as they are going to cause water quality issues for you in the future as they grow.

Really, not to just the OP but to all new keepers of animals. Understand what animal you are getting and it’s needs and can you in fact meet it’s needs in this case with the habitat you have created.You should know the exact species of fish you are purchasing and consider their needs before you put them in your pond.
This is excellent advice jhn...Too bad that a lot of these pet store staff can't tell the difference between koi and goldfish, or they are uneducated and therefor cannot give the proper guidelines (especially containment size) for specific fish...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States

This is such good advice. As many of you know I rehomed my koi I've had for 18 years a week ago. Our pond is 1700 gallons and I had to work hard to keep good water quality. I was dedicated to rehoming all their fry and never purchased any new koi, just dedicated to caring for my four.

As adults they were in the 28 inch range and produced a lot of waste. I received a couple new videos of them in their new home this morning and it makes me so happy to see them happy and healthy and I know once out of quarantine they will be in a huge pond.

I hate to be a Debbie downer on the subject of koi.....but people need to know how long lived they are with good care and how large they grow. I think in their new home they could live at least another decade or longer. He has 30 + year old koi retired in his largest pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States

Yes, this is absolutely excellent advice. Although I know how long they can live, and how large they can become, I also thought they would not outgrow their habitat. What was unknown to me is the amount of waste they produce and how it would affect the water quality. That's on me for not doing more and better research, and a little on the pond builder for not explaining that my pond may not be large enough for koi.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Don't be too hard on yourselves, people rarely understand the long term needs of koi and most pond builders and people selling koi sure don't talk about it!

I just turned 65, so age is a factor in my decision. Knowing what I know now, I'm not sure if I would have don't things differently as I sure loved them a good many years...totally lucked out with their new home.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here are a couple of pictures looking from different directions:

View attachment 154039
View attachment 154041

View attachment 154042

I'm thinking that you'd want at least 2,000 gallons to house koi, plus a really good filtration system. They need a lot of room and the ability to deal with a great deal of fish waste. Others here on the forum who have more experience with koi could probably give more specific advice on koi-keeping!
Really very beautiful pond and clean.

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Really very beautiful pond and clean.
Thank you! It's looking a lot less clear at the moment, as I've got the pump turned off and I'm working on the stream. That's stirred up a tremendous amount of dirt, but hopefully it will all settle out within a couple of hours of turning the pump on again.

Ask a Question