sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Explains why I never see the whiskers until they are bigger .I 'm never sure if fish interbreed with each other .I have a variety of fish from shubunkins to fancy tails to butterfly and of course aggie and bert regular koi .I also have goldfish that are the fantails .I wonder some of the times because I get some odd looking babies .I gave 6 away to a neighbor for her pond over 3 years ago and they really are funny looking guys.Some fish that I got for a dollar 5 years ago have gotten really long and flowing tails and looked just like plain old goldfish when I got them .That's why they were so cheap .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Addy, The fact that a lot start off as black or tan is natural selection. It lets them hide better from other fish. The ones that start out bright colored can't hide as easily.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yep they are harder to spot, I have all different sizes now, going by the sizes would say this is the 4th spawn in the pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
That's pretty neat. Last year my fish were spawning in May and there were a lot of eggs and then I found some babies in August. This year there is a lot of chasing, but I don't see any eggs. I think they are all being eaten.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My pond had only 4 fish at the beginning of the summer, very low fish load. I think that is helping the eggs/fry survive. Did get the cheap walmart fish but they were all small, not sure if they are doing any of the spawning.

I know one white goldie is the primary mama, she seems to be the pond boss.

Reaction score
The busy life of the a pond. LOL My koi were spawning again this morning. I love watching the new little fish chase each other around the pond. At what point does a fry stop being called a fry? My first fry are now 2" - 3" long.

I have a very dark fish about 3" and I am guess it is a goldfish but it is growing very fast. The tip of it's tail is white. Do shubunkins get their colors as fry of does it take a while?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well according to post, some start out dark and change, some start out colored. My fry are gold, white and the shubunkins look like shubunkins. But I also have some just dark fry, waiting to see what they do. They may just stay dark.

from the net:

Some goldfish may change it colour from copper black to orange.

(most goldfish will change when 6 month)

And some may change from orange to black dot or stripe in certain stage of its age.

When are matured their body colouration will eventually change

Many gold fish are born black and not gold ... they seem to appear from nowhere when they are about 1 inch long. In fact they have been hiding from the larger fish who would have eaten them along with many others that did not survive hatching from the ova. Because they are
black they can be difficult for us to see. Gradually they start turning gold until they do become little goldfish

other sites say they stay dark.................lol your guess good as mine!

Reaction score
I guess I will have to wait and see. I would like to catch it and see if there are other colors. I have one dark goldfish in the small pond named Shadow, I am sure most everyone with a dark goldfish has one named Shadow. lol Anywho, Lady Shadow now has many "shadow" offspring. All I need is a bunch of dark fish that I will never see but know they are there. lol

Reaction score
Hi from lovely Crete!
I would like some help please but I will have to fill you all in with a little story first. :lol:

Where I live there is a place were in the very old years the villagers built some stone kind of ponds to collect rain water for uses like sheep drinking water.About 10 with average size 5 to 10 meters (they are all round).I will post a photo for you to see when I get one.
Now some years back someone decided to put some fish in those ponds and rumors have it that some were goldfish and some koi,but no one knows for sure.
I can remember seeing a big white and red fish that was about 20 - 25inch long a couple of years later but I can not say for sure if that was a koi.All I can say is it was a beautiful site.

Ever since I have heard that allot of people have been fishing out there for there own purposes.That's OK because there are millions of fish now in those ponds.
So this year I decided to try my luck too but I couldn't catch any big ones as the ponds are very deep and the fish VERY smart.
So I took my little net and fished out some fry (well around 100-150:lol: :lol::lol:)around half an inch long and was very happy to set them in my pond and see them do fine.
Till this day about 4 weeks later they are doing well and have grown allot (most are now around 2 inch which makes me think they are too big to be goldfish.
So here is were I need your help.
Most of them have color from the start and others are black or grey.
WHAT DO I HAVE??? :dunno::dunno::dunno:Koi or goldfish.
Here are some photos
Hi Marie,
I have just found the site by googlinf fish and carp! amazing the internet! We are also on Crete and building a pond.
I would love to find some of those common carp babies photo 1 that you have or would you be able to let me know where they are of if you have any surpluss?
Regards
John

Reaction score
Don't be offended when people call them carp. I say put some in your pond. You will be surprised at the changes they go through. It is amazing how they change colors as they mature.
The 3 babies I have from last year are so cool to watch. They all started brownish. Now one is all dark. orange, one is orange with a white belly, and the third is still dark brownish grey. What's next?
Call them what you want, I am enjoying watching nature take its course. Plus they were $free$ fish.
ENJOY

Reaction score
Don't be offended when people call them carp. I say put some in your pond. You will be surprised at the changes they go through. It is amazing how they change colors as they mature.
The 3 babies I have from last year are so cool to watch. They all started brownish. Now one is all dark. orange, one is orange with a white belly, and the third is still dark brownish grey. What's next?
Call them what you want, I am enjoying watching nature take its course. Plus they were $free$ fish.
ENJOY

You are SOOO right!
I love watching them in my pond and you know what?...I even love the color they have,I just got a bit angry because someone was trying to make this sound as a bad thing.I just dont understand why everything has to have a tag!
If its not breed quality its not good???
Nature has so many wonderful things going on why try to make it into something so fixed!
And for an update the fish are goldfish and shubunkins.Lots of them now have an orange color and some have black spots.I have 2 that have a light pink color and lots that have that golden black color which will probably go away after a while.All are so beautiful.

Funny thing....I found out that if I put the black fish in a sunny place,the color develops more faster.
I have a small barrel that has a lilly in it and has all day long sun shine,no shade.I put 3 in and after a week all had a bright orange belly and a black back,amazinly beautiful.So I took them out and put in an other lot of 3.After a week the same thing had happend.So I tried it a 3rd time and wow....again same thing.
Has anyone have something to say about this?I for once am breath taken about this....????!!!!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hi Marian, I have the goldies and some brand new little shubbies too. Also have the goldies that are still black and one is about 6" and some a bit smaller and so on. My pond is in full sun all day and have been wondering if my black ones will ever turn gold. I have lots of plant coverage too tho so they can hide from the sun. They do look kind of a bronze color when the light hits them just right. Will have to wait to see when they will ever change.

Ask a Question