back flow preventer devices

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
I would like to hear recommended devices to use with Hudson auto fill valves. I have used the plastic hose fittings in the past and they work but are not that durable. I have found that attaching the garden hose direct from the hose bib to the fill valve, I experience water hammer at the hot water tank once the auto fill valve shuts off.
Thanks, John

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have always plumbed these with PVC either connected to the main Irrigation line (at homes that have one) or directly to an external petcock on the homes water supply. Never had a problem with water hammer, which is usually caused by air in the line.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
I understand that, but to plumb that in my situation is possible but not easy as I would have to do a lot of digging. I just want to be able to hook up the device with a hose for occasional use, like when there is a possible pond leak and we will be out of town.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
No reason a garden hose would not work. Make sure that the hose is securely attached (air tight) to the exterior petcock. Try using the same garden hose with a pistol style attachment and see if you still get water hammer. Somehow air is intruding into the line and being pulled back into your household plumbing when you use hot water.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I would try to adapt a spring check valve to screw onto your hose Bibb then attach the hose.
Your auto fill valve is closing fast and sending the shock back into the house.
You could also turn the hose Bibb on just a little bit , so that the auto valve would be just a little bit slower to stop

Ask a Question