Increase Water Flow Ideas

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am building a waterfall/river in the backyard. It's about 80 feet long. The problem I'm having is with the water flow. I have a 1 HP Hayward Power Flo Matrix pump pushing water to the top of the river that spills out as a waterfall. That didn't push the water hard enough downstream so then I purchased a 3HP Pentair IntelliFlo pump and put it near the top of the river just to push more water downstream (See picture attached). However the river still isn't flowing as I'd like it to. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can improve water flow? I really wanted it to look like a fast moving river but haven't been able to achieve that! I will take any suggestions as I'm very frustrated at this point. THANKS!

Attachments

• IMG_7771.jpg
    IMG_7771.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 286

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
how big a hose are you using and what head height do the pumps go to seem .Seems like they should work if the hose is big enough .I know on youtube 1 guy on there used a 4 inch pipe ,can't remember how long his stream was .Is you steam up hill or just flat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’m using 2 inch piping. There is a slight elevation change but not very severe. It pumps maybe 10 feet head.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome @knicks1met ! What a cool project!

Consider creating areas in your stream where the water has to be forced through (for example between or around rocks) or over (like the edge of a pool) - in other words, creating barriers that the water has to work itself around - to create that rushing water feel.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I’m using 2 inch piping. There is a slight elevation change but not very severe. It pumps maybe 10 feet head.
a 3hp pump should be running at minimum a 3" line if not a four or five inch . whats I the gph with 10 head. and at 80 feet of push I find it hard to believe your looking at only 10 feet of head and do you have 90 degree elbows in the line each elbow is a foot of head. you can have a 2" line with a 6000 gph and a 3 hp say pushing 24000 gph but a 2" line can only push so much water yes the higher the pressure you can achieve a little more but you need to rethink your design. a 2" line is seriously choking out your 3 hp pump and wait till you get your electric bill

Reaction score
Country
United States
a 3hp pump should be running at minimum a 3" line if not a four or five inch . whats I the gph with 10 head. and at 80 feet of push I find it hard to believe your looking at only 10 feet of head and do you have 90 degree elbows in the line each elbow is a foot of head. you can have a 2" line with a 6000 gph and a 3 hp say pushing 24000 gph but a 2" line can only push so much water yes the higher the pressure you can achieve a little more but you need to rethink your design. a 2" line is seriously choking out your 3 hp pump and wait till you get your electric bill
I could have the head wrong. Yes I have a couple 90 degree elbows on each line. On the 3HP line I tried using a 3" pipe and cutting down to 2" where it let out to create pressure. I also experimented using a 2" pipe on the 3HP and cutting down to 1.5". It seemed like the 2" to 1.5" created more pressure and better flow but I am not entirely sure which worked better. Both ways created a great flow and pressure where it let out and maybe 5 feet in front of it but after that, the river kind of just dies out. The water does make it into the catch basin so it is flowing but not the way I envisioned.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It takes an incredible amount of water and energy to create what we all love to see as a waterfall and flowing stream such as this

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That's 80,000 gallons at the right side main water fall and 120,000 gphs at the very beginning of the video

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yes and they call them energy hogs .In this day and time I cannot see this being something to brag about .Yes it is great looking but it is like log cabins ,yep they look great but are a bear to heat .The only way you can get around it is a half log home that has insulation between the logs .They are pretty but when it comes down to it you would have to be rich and then you come to selling it ,will you get what you put into it .I would hope you could enjoy it for a long long time to get the worth out of it .I will abandon my pond when it comes time to sell and move the fish to the other house with the pond that is already there .No one here wants the cost or the work they barely mow the grass and maintain the property

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
For the haves that is less than popcorn.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i'd design the project to start and end like a mountain stream disappearing into the mountain side . look at pondless waterfalls

Ask a Question