Do you keep your bog flowing during freezing winter conditions?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
1500 gallons, two pressure filters (both with bio balls one also has three foam inserts), one has a built-in UV, lots of plants.
So as the title states...keeping bog flowing in winter?

Been thinking about doing a bog filter next spring for the benefit of nice clear water. My water isn't perfectly clear. I can see down about half of the 3 feet depth. I know I have too much of a fish load, but figure a bog will help. I do have plenty of plants and pretty good filtration, but the amount of fish I assume is the culprit.

So, just wondering do you keep it flowing all winter?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No I shut all down for the winter, take a moving water break

Mine is too big, the surface area cools the water too much and it would be easy for a ice dam to form and we are sometimes not here over some of the cold weather to baby it.

I do have beautiful clear water all summer, from turn on to turn off.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
When I had a pressurized filter, it froze and burst during a cold snap :( I'd left it running as it was beautiful and we were having company, but had a sudden cold snap and it froze and cracked. It was not a large filter, probably running about 1200 GPH through 2 inch hose.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We keep ours running all year. But we have a submersible pump - no concerns about the pump freezing - and our waterfall can handle the ice without diverting water out of the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hoping to leave my bog running all year. i'm thinking of covering the bog in straw bales

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
When I had a pressurized filter, it froze and burst during a cold snap :( I'd left it running as it was beautiful and we were having company, but had a sudden cold snap and it froze and cracked. It was not a large filter, probably running about 1200 GPH through 2 inch hose.

Yeah, my pressure filters come in for the winter too. I have a bucket submerged with a small pump covered with lava rock that stays all year. The bucket has a small PVC pipe ending just below the water surface and creates a fountain. The bucket, aerator and deicer help the bad gases escape when it ices over.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Also my first 1st year but I am hoping to keep my bog running all year. I debate putting a de-icer and or pond heater next to the skimmer since it sits below our frost line and leave the pump in the skimmer which feeds the bog on. This is also where my aerator is which provides a little warmth itself. My piping to the bog is all pressure free and pvc flex pipe so I don't worry about it bursting. My only worry is water freezing at the entry point to the skimmer preventing the pump in the skimmer from getting enough water and burning it up. And this super chill situation which I want to read up on, whether it is the super cold water or something related that puts the fish at risk. As i do understand the frozen top layer could create an igloo effect protecting the fish from extreme weather, but I can't discredit those that have done so successfully either.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So I'm guessing most of you shut down your bogs during a freezing season.
GBBUDD,
The bails of straw sound like an interesting idea. Hope that works.
WHEN TRAVELING and living in a fifth wheel all winter by far the best insulator is hay bales they make a mess buy you'll never worry about freezing pipes on the contrary you will find evey bug in the area living under your trailer. that' gets a little creepy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My only worry is water freezing at the entry point to the skimmer preventing the pump in the skimmer from getting enough water and burning it up
You have just mentioned the one thing I am trying to figure out, I can't find any info on the skimmer getting blocked over the winter.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You have just mentioned the one thing I am trying to figure out, I can't find any info on the skimmer getting blocked over the winter.
If it is your only intake the current should keep the water open and only ice over the top just like a stream as it leaves a pond . DANGER THIN ICE

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If it is your only intake the current should keep the water open and only ice over the top just like a stream as it leaves a pond . DANGER THIN ICE
I might just put the pump in the pond and shut the skimmer down for the winter, then watch and shut pump off if any thing looks like it may go wrong.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I might just put the pump in the pond and shut the skimmer down for the winter, then watch and shut pump off if any thing looks like it may go wrong.
My fear in shutting anything down is this Stagnant water KILLS ammonia and hydrogen sulfide can develop very very qickly. my skimmer line is deep underground but it does come to the surface if the water is flowing quickly there should be no issues. it's like a forced hot water pipe in your house so long as the water is circulating there's no issue loose your power for a few hours and trouble begins.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@GBBUDD thanks, I was thinking of leaving the pump running, I have a fold in my liner in front of my skimmer when I lift it up it blocks and shuts of the water into the skimmer, so I'm thinking I'll just pull the pump from there and put it in the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My fear in shutting anything down is this Stagnant water KILLS ammonia and hydrogen sulfide can develop very very qickly. my skimmer line is deep underground but it does come to the surface if the water is flowing quickly there should be no issues. it's like a forced hot water pipe in your house so long as the water is circulating there's no issue loose your power for a few hours and trouble begins.
Very rarely am I critical about grammar but the comma between Kills and ammonia is key because stagnant water does not kill anything but fish ;)

Ask a Question