BACK TO BOG FILTERS .....

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Was looking at various bog "designs" [ADDY, thanks for your input and diagrams]. I've probably already asked this question, but have slept a few nights/weeks, soooo... .... perhaps different context? Please bear with me!

If you want your pond in-flow (ie, waterfall) and skimmer to be at opposite ends, where is the BEST place for a bog? And /or, how can I play with this for where to put a skimmer AND a bog? -- does seem as if I've asked this before -- What I'm picturing so far has my "turtle" satelites being on one side (to the right as you face the waterfall) with the "head" of the pond being the waterfall. So that gives me 2 committed sides.

And the best places for bog & skimmer would be?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The bog can be anywhere you want it to be, the water just needs to flow in via piping then out back into the pond.

The skimmer, I put mine downwind, so the wind would help blow floaters into the skimmer, I mainly run it spring (flowers from the apple trees) fall (falling leaves).
You want it opposite of where your water is flowing into the pond, to help push the surface water towards the skimmer.

Reaction score
Are you making your bog and waterfall seperate?
My bog is going to be at the "top" of my waterfall. The water will go into my skimmer and pumped back to the opposite side of the pond into the bog(from the bottom) and spill down the water fall into the pond.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
MIKE -- Not really sure what I plan to do. Maybe for the time being, 'till I've had some actual "pond" experience, I might forego the bog and just have a good number of the right plants in & around the water. My waterfall will be the out-flow from a bio-filter.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Probably a good idea, Mm, Take it a step at a time and you won't feel overwhelmed by the whole thing. A bog can always be added once you figure out where you want it, and I doubt the turts are in any big hurry!
John

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
HARO -- Thanks! I tend to forget that my original plans revolved around the needs of my boxies! So, back to basics it is! But I'm making a nice list of all those OTHER factors & features so when the time comes, my homework will be in order :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sounds good turtle mom, my bog is my filter therefore it got built. Take it slow get your turtles happy then go from there. Just leave room to add on if you so wish later.

Ask a Question