Bad smell coming from the pond?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada

Another thing I thought of as Im typing this!!!!!!! Maybe it's not the pond afterall.....I applied this organic fertilizer to my lawn earlier in the week called Milorganite and its made from human sewage. It hasn't rained since Monday so I havent smelled it but maybe all the rain I got yesterday really activated the smell. Ive used it in the past but never had that smell...not even close.....Then again I never had that much rain after applying it either

I'll bet that's the source of the smell.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Jersey_Marine Amazingly, it doesn't take much to generate "the smell." Even something as small as a goldfish. I sure hope that's NOT what it is, though. I never found the cause of my odor, and believe me, I looked, so I'll never know for sure.....

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
I once pulled a dead bird from the pond and when it came out of the water that's when it stunk! I did a partial water change just to be safe.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The Milorganite has a terrible smell when first applied and worse after a rain. It will mellow out with time. Hate the smell but the grass looks great.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Jersey_Marine OK, so back to the original investigation..... Is the odor generalized, or can you do the "sniff test," and narrow it down to a more localized spot? If the former, maybe it is the fertilizer. If the latter, maybe it's not.

That is something useful to know (the fert. odor) for future reference!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
This may not apply at all, or it may be the solution, who knows! But I just discovered the source of stinky water in my pond today, so here goes: I had a leak in the pipe that refills my pond. I didn't even notice it because it was mostly underground in a spot where we don't walk. But yesterday I did walk there, and SQUISH! So I had a sprinkler repairman out today. And he said that area all around there was a sinky bog. He fixed it, but he said his hands reeked just from doing the repairs there for a few minutes. So maybe check around your pond perimeter for a separate water leak or standing water?

Hope you figure it out! :)

Ask a Question