Metal barrel

Reaction score
I have an old solid metal pot (75cm in diameter and 65cm deep )which has a bit of rust on the inside but I would like to turn it into a barrel pond.What is the least toxic way to coat the inside to prevent further rust and can anyone recommend what plants I should be putting in to make it attractive both to me and to wildlife. Many thanks in advance

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! Would love to see a picture of your pot! It can help give us ideas!

Let’s see, that’s about 30” by a little over 2’ deep. Are you planning to have any fish or is this just for plants?

I guess coating the inside would depend on what kind of metal it is — not my area of expertise, BUT there are a lot of others on here who I’m sure can help you!

You might want to consider lining the inside of it with a piece of pond liner. Depending on what the top part of the barrel/pot looks like, you might be able to “glue” the liner at the top to hold it in place. Again, pictures would help.

Reaction score
here is a pic. it's actually an old Irish potato pot that was dug up from a field a few years back. I coated it with Hammerite metal paint about 10 years ago to preserve it but now i'd like it as a water feature. Any suggestions welcome

Attachments

• IMG_6744.jpg
    IMG_6744.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 320
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
You will need to remove all of the rust before you paint. I would use a marine grade paint. The type used to paint boats below the waterline. Just remember that the paint will fail in time. If possible I would use some sort of liner. Maybe even put a plastic pot inside of your metal pot.

Reaction score
You will need to remove all of the rust before you paint. I would use a marine grade paint. The type used to paint boats below the waterline. Just remember that the paint will fail in time. If possible I would use some sort of liner. Maybe even put a plastic pot inside of your metal pot.

Thanks very much for the advice

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The only thing about painting some thing that holds water inside and collects the heat from outside is that paint will have a tendency to peel inside .Condensation causes it .

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
He would definitely need to line the inside of the tub, if painted with marine grade paint/ bottom paint for boats. That paint is designed to keep marine life from attaching or boring into the hull of boats, so it is toxic.

Ask a Question