basic water quality problems

Discussion in 'Newbies to Garden Ponds' started by koiguy1969, May 3, 2010.

1. koiguy1969

outdoork9lady

Yea not the liner, it's the water. I tested again and it's reverting back to as if I had no filtration system. Of course it's a 3-day'r, so I won't get any answers as to why the filters died in less than 100 gal. I was to get 20,000 gals. It came out at zero nitrites and now back up to 1ppm and climbing. I'm tired right now, pure tired! I poured in a bunch of non-chlorinate, says it also detoxifies ammonia and nitrites. Nothing to lose. I stopped filling, gonna play with the dog, take a walk away from it and test the water this evening. If it comes up the same, it's on hold until Tuesday.

Egads! Auto correct changed a lot of words. Edited to clean up the clean up.

outdoork9lady, May 25, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. koiguy1969

sissy sissy

You may be frustrating your self over thinking it .What is your filter made of .You may need to filter your water coming out of your hose .

sissy, May 25, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. koiguy1969

sissy sissy

I find keeping plants in my filters really helps clean and get rid of stuff as water is going into the filter .I had to redo my one filter to build a bigger one and used the filter media from the old filter .But since I run my filters all year round there could have been some good stuff still left so figure try it take advantage of what might still be in there

sissy, May 25, 2013
  4. koiguy1969

koiguy1969 GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!

the discussion is about an inline 'inhouse' style water filter that's hooked up to the hose to remove chlorine and chloramines while the poond is getting filled FOR THE FIRST TIME, and apparently not doing so great. not a pond filter.
    i say.. forget it, return it if you can... and just use pond dechorinator. its that simple!!

koiguy1969, May 25, 2013
  5. koiguy1969

outdoork9lady

You are all right...I just felt that if I could put in the best water possible at the start, than between plants and filters, etc.....I had a good start. I got a great heart thumping woo hoo at the beginning, however, it lasted about 50 gallons, then the first filter was a chocolate brown, the second one still like new. Right now the water that comes out of the hose, is dirtier than the water in my small garden ponds that are way over stocked with fish. The issue is when I go to clean the filters/small water changes, which I have to do as I have moved my fish over while this larger one was built, I have WORSE water to put into the tank than what I expelled. Thought the filter from garden hose was the answer so that I didn't have to use so much of the non chlorination like Amquel Plus....guess not. Disheartening.

The good news is, the small pond with the Koi that will be in the larger pond, is o nitrites and I have used the tap water to refill what had to be expelled....so using that same system (only larger for the larger pond) I should be fine once its all settled in. Angry since it's going to probably take a good month for it to be healthy enough to put in my Koi.

outdoork9lady, May 26, 2013
  6. koiguy1969

koiguy1969 GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!

doesnt sound like your tap water is anything i would want to bathe in, let alone drink!

koiguy1969, May 26, 2013
    outdoork9lady likes this.
  7. koiguy1969

outdoork9lady

Bought the amquel, took a few cups (dropped the correct amount for my gallons, waited a few hours, no change, repeated until a light purple on the nitrite scale). I then took the pressure flo system, didn't clean it from the over stocked pond (which had finally turned a light blue, yay), dropped it in and waited a day. Looked a light purple, almost blue, made sure no UV then tossed in good bacteria. Tossed in the goldfish so they didn't die in the now zero filtered itty bitty pond. Today the pond is in zero nitrites, .25 ammonia, zero nitrates, zero phosphates, PH 7.6. Lots of plants, added an old water fall which are currently housing some plants, dropped in another filter (floating), and it's butt ugly, for now. I'm hoping to cull the goldfish out and drop in the koi, hopefully in a couple of weeks. By then the stainless steel weirs should be done along with the corner plant boxes. Playing around with the actual size and finished look before I make them.

The city water tests ame in and the water came in at .77 mg/L NO2. They said it was showing acceptable levels. My API Freshwater test system shows me at 5ppms. I don't get it.

Edited the iPad edits

outdoork9lady, May 30, 2013
  8. koiguy1969

Dave 54

Koi Guy thanx for mentioning your sense of smell as a pointer to detect bad water quality issues , the last time I saw this written down as to using as a tool was in a book was by an author called Frank W Orme in his Book Goldfish and koi ISBN 0862300207
    Strangely never since .
    This deserves a sticky my friend and I believe it got it :happy:

Dave (y)

Dave 54, Sep 2, 2014
  9. koiguy1969

FrankQuinn

@kolguy1069
    Thanks for posting such a great info.

FrankQuinn, Apr 13, 2016
  10. koiguy1969

Koiguyjoe Life's short, enjoy koi

Any place where you have a "how to" handle these problems? I have in aglae problem and I'm looking for a good spot to find some info on how to handle it.
    Thanks
    Joe

Koiguyjoe, Jul 24, 2017
  11. koiguy1969

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

What form of algae? Planktonic (supended ,"green water") or filamentous (string)?

Meyer Jordan, Jul 25, 2017
  12. koiguy1969

Attached Files:

Koiguyjoe, Aug 4, 2017
  13. koiguy1969

I see alot of string algae on the walls of the pond.. I've got a brand new filter and pump this year too.. it kept the pond great for a week or so but the water always gets dark even after water change.. it does get a lot of sun though too.

Koiguyjoe, Aug 4, 2017
  14. koiguy1969

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

So your concern is the poor water clarity. From what I can see in the photos this may not be solely an algae issue, if algae is even involved at all. I cannot detect any green tint to the water based on the photos.

A little more info on your pond:
    -Capacity
    -Number of fish? All Koi?
    -Pump flow rate in gph.
    -Filtration provided, mechanical and bio...what form/type?
    -Amount of sediment on bottom of pond, if any.
    -Feeding amount and schedule.

Meyer Jordan, Aug 4, 2017
    MitchM likes this.
  15. koiguy1969

it's about 1200gal
    now only 10 fish, of which 6 are koi & 4 Goldfish.. all koi are a 12in or better.
    tetra 4000gal/hr pump, tetra 4000gal bio filter with the small white bio balls.
    only the liner and some rocks. I just did a complete cleanoutt the beginning of summer but with the plants and floating plants I'm sure there's some muck on the bottom. I feed them 2 maybe 3 x a day depending on my schedule. once about 5am 12noon 6pm maybe...

Koiguyjoe, Aug 4, 2017
  16. koiguy1969

20170725_202658.jpg

Koiguyjoe, Aug 4, 2017
  17. koiguy1969

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

I do not see any greenish tint to the water, so phytoplankton is not a major contributor to the turbidity.
    How much are you feeding at any given time and are the fish eating all of the food within 5 - 10 minutes?
    I suspect that what you are observing is a heavy level of suspended organic matter that is causing this turbidity.

Meyer Jordan, Aug 4, 2017
    1. Advertisements