Bathtub Pond - filter too large?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi there! I’ve lived 10 years with a 100 y/o cement pond which I loved. We recently moved and while waiting to build my dream pond I’ve made a temporary pond for my couple of goldfish out of an old cast iron tub (approx 80gal). Of course I’m getting carried away and want to add a little waterfall. I plan on seating the 8in waterfall in a pot next to tub. I bought a cheap-o filter and fountain for the time being but know I need something stronger for the waterfall. I’m thinking like a 500gbh pump? You have to increase gph quite a bit for the waterfall, right? I have my old 1000gph external filter Can I use that or does the filter need to more closely match the pump? Is 500gph for the pump overkill? Appreciate any thoughts!
E8B332A4-BB6A-4C79-93A2-87DB1BA35FEF.jpeg

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Nice little bathtub pond! as far as pump size for a waterfall goes, it depends on the width of the spillway. What would your spillway width be?

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
you might be right. Maybe I should look for something smaller.
I had a 1200 gph pump and a 12" spillway in a 160 gallon stock tank a while back. it was deffinitly large, but I don't think it was too large.

Ask a Question