bathtub 3stage filter?

Reaction score
ive been trying to find a container i could make a 2-3stage filter in, water butt/barrels are out as they would be too obtrusive as i wouldnt be able to bury it.

Thought about a bathtub, right height to go behind the pond wall, easy to cut and fix plumbing too etc etc....

pumps 7000L/hr i think going into UV and magnetic thingy then filter....

as my amazing picture shows;

1) in bottom right into a section of brushes to catch the larger stuff

2) water flows over gap to middle section with layers of different grade filter foam

3) biomedia of some sort, region on 50-60 litres going up to 2" exit (another grid on top of the biomedia to stop it going into the pond.

on the bottom left, will have a drainage dump valve, as well as valve on input, allowing me to drain it for cleaning etc. waterlevel will be same as pond with lid like pond rim so its discreet.

Anyone got any suggestions to add to the design? Wont be made for a few weeks, going to order in all the components i need over the next few days and will sort it.

bathtubfilterconcept.jpg

Ponds 11000L and will be keeping a mix of koi and goldies in 50% sunlight.

Reaction score
had a good read. Am i right in saying your tube/plastic media filter use no 'filter sheets' at all, just lots of plastics with high surface area?

Im away from the parents house (where this is going) for months at a time (university), so easy maintenance is a must.

also i could make something like that very cheap. If the above assumptions are right, then i can get a 100gallon barrel filled with some kind of random plastic media done cheaper than my above plan (albeit much more hassle).

what kind of flow would be ok? Im pumping about 1500G/H at the head, would that be too much for the one barrel?

Reaction score
last question,

for the gravity return, i was planning on using a 2" gravity feed, returning under the surface as i cant install a waterfall or anything similar, would look tacky (airstones in filters to compensate for lack of air from falling water).

anyways, due to the routing of the water pipes, i will have to include at least 2x 90degree bends and a longish flexi pipe, how much would this effect the flow?

Reaction score
a bathtub! I admire your gumption for recycling!!!

In set ups I've seen exactly like this, folks do the brushes first for mechanical media to get the thick stuff out. I will warn you, however, that their is quite a complaint on cleaning these brushes. It's either a love/hate thing. Some folks don't mind because they do a good job of picking up crud; and others think that all the stuff sticking to 'em is tough to get off.

Your up-down concept is correct, and your material needs to lay on it's side rather than flat the way you have it pictured, too.

What are you planning for your bio material? I would suggest 1/2" strapping tape that you can buy on ebay (just make sure to ask the seller if it's textured--usually the dark gray one is), so that bacteria has something to grab onto.

Nice!

Ask a Question