aussie newbie with a bathtub

Reaction score
I'm an old guy with a new interest in fish since we turned an old bathtub in the backyard into a pond for four goldfish.

Got questions about that. Better post them in a thread though, I suppose.

Reaction score
Thankyou for the 'welcomes', it's a nice touch. :)

Pictures? Of the pond? Can do, no problem - except right now it looks a bigger mess than usual because of all the attempts at home made filters and different pumps - wires and pipes and stuff everywhere...

I'll try to clean it up a bit and then...

:)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
abrogard

I have a bathtub pond also but I don't have a filter in it,just a water bubbler and an air stone. I also attached a water hose to it w/ a timer in the Summer to add water ever so slowly daily to it as a partial water change to keep the water cleaner. I use it as a quarantine pond mainly for any new fish I might want to add. Right now the frogs are using it as their pad :biggrinangelA:

IMG_1775.JPG

I used the tub holes up top as a drainage for the excess water to run out and added fiberglass screen to the holes so only the water can drain out and not any plants or fish etc.

IMG_1013.JPG

Reaction score
Thank you for that post.

An important one.

Always have more confidence, of course, when talking to someone who is actually doing it!

An air stone and a bubbler? I thought they were the same thing?

So you don't circulate and filter the water at all?

And you have fish in there?

And I see you've made 13,000 posts, so I guess you really know what you're talking about.

I'm not sure how to add pics to these posts but I can easily provide a link to some pics I've put up on google pics:

https://plus.google.com/photos/1107...s/5969261212226945841?authkey=CIDv1MW836iiggE

How would you advise me to manage my tub?

Seems to me the filters/pumps are doing nothing more than perhaps adding a little oxygen to the water.

And these UV algae killer things might be the easy way to clarify the water.

But the whole health of my system may be that algae. Kill it and nitrates rise and fish die.....?

So need an algae breeding place elsewhere.... Many DIY's on the web but all use lamps. Seems silly to me to use lamps when the power of the sun is there all day.

I did have filter water spilling out of the filter and pooling on a flat metal sheet over the tub. That spilt water rapidly turned a deep green and thickened. Obviously doing some major algae growing.

So perhaps a setup like that works in the outdoors? Water slowly spilling over flat surfaces exposed to the sun? Will aerate the water, could mechanically filter it (bed of sand maybe) and could grow bulk algae to clean up nitrates?

OR: like your tub, I need nothing at all?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome Abrogard.
I'm no expert, first winter season with my new 3000 gal pond but I did test the waters with a 150gal stock tank buried in the ground. Kept goldfish and plants.
I filtered mine by buying a small pump. 250 gal I believe as you want to turn your water over at least once an hour. Put the pump into 2 plastic storage baskets (mesh type, holes in the sides)filled the baskets with kitchen scrubbies. (The round kind plastic scouring type.) I then zip tied the 2 baskets together containing the scrubbies and pump. Use as many scrubbies as you can fit around the pump and fill the baskets. Then I put the hose from the pump into a plastic watering can also filled with more scrubbies and let it run back into the pond. Set the watering can on a weathered cement block so it was pretty much above the water but still in the stock tank so if it overflowed or anything the water stayed in the stock tank. Worked well for me. Kept the water clean.
When I started it up in the spring I would have green water for a couple weeks then quickly went to clear. Adding plants also helps clear the water.

Reaction score
Hi,

thanks for the replies.

Sorry but I don't quite get it, your setup. I assume the baskets are the input to the pump? Filtering the input? And the watering can is the output? Filtering the output? Why? I must have something wrong there...

Here's how I see it, could you correct it for me?

IMG_1462 640x480.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
No I do not have fish in there all the time. It is used only for newly purchased fish or ill fish. I may put in a few tiny ones to keep the skeeters from breeding in Summer also. I have plants in there and frogs. The one bubbler is a little fountain pump that bubbles water out the top and keeps the water somewhat circulated. I just took off the fountain attachment and left the long spout. The only filter I have is the hose that runs on the timer and changes part of the water each day in the Summer. That seems to keep my water quite clear along w/the plants and mine is not in full sun all day either. The fish I had in there did well and then I would transfer them to my big pond in the Fall. You have quite the nice setup and very well protected. I could keep a few fish in mine w/my setup but just choose not to in the winter. I think w/ you keeping your fish in there and letting them get bigger you will need a filter to keep the muck under better control. I just bought a new filter for my larger pond that Colleen here on the forum uses in her ponds. Here is a link to part of her thread on us talking about it: https://www.gardenpondforum.com/topic/10570-my-pond-runs-all-winter-zone-23/page-36

You might be able to find a smaller version like that one or make one yourself. Supposed to be real easy to clean. I have not installed mine yet as I just received it.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ha Ha thanks a lot diesel but I was thinking the same thing :biggrinangelA:

I just have a big mouth and fast fingers w/ just enough knowledge to make me dangerous :biggrin:

Ask a Question