can i put fish in my outdoor bathtub pond??????

Reaction score
Country
United States
I converted an old bathtub that i used as a water bowl for my two pet emus into a heavily planted pond. I was wondering if I could pu some goldfish or guppies in the summer months?????

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Colleen on here keeps guppies in a small outdoor pond and jw one here has a bathtub pond besides her regular pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum :) I think you'll find people have made ponds out of all kinds of containers.

Reaction score
Depends on climate. Mosquitofish can handle higher temps and lower O2 than goldfish but even Mosquitofish can't handle an exposed container here in Phoenix. Other places, depends. Mosquitofish are commonly used in animal troughs in reasonable climates..

Reaction score
Country
United States
i live in northern california. i could over winter them if needed in my aquarium or im thinking of putting a heater in there.

Reaction score
Bay Area, Napa I know Goldfish would be fine in the tub. When you get up in the mountains it could be too cold. "Guppies" or Mosquitofish can't take even cold water, like under 50F for very long.

Heater if you need too but they can cause more problems. Heard of them catching fire. And keeping water in the 42 to 62 F range can encourage a harmful bacteria to grow will fish immune system is low. And there can be ammonia issues. Be careful of intuition. Heater sounds good to us, but Goldfish and Koi have evolved to live in winter conditions under the ice.

But if the tank can freeze solid or nearly then yeah, something needs to be done. Insulating the tank would help too.

Regardless through, an above ground small steel tank is going to have some pretty bad temp swings year round. That can be hard on fish. Just saying.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
i have decided to breed guppies and mollies in the pond. Im also going to put in a pleco. I am aware of the size that they can get. I have an online fish store that i sell on. i might even try breeding them in another pond. i will definitely be putting a heater in it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Good luck with your bathtub pond. I think you have hit it on the head that raised ponds tend to fluctuate in temporature more than inground ponds so extra precautions need to be taken. I would avoid putting in too may fish in the begining until you see all the fish are healthy and doing well for at least 4-6 weeks. Beneficial bacteria needs to develop that will convert the fish waste into less harmful substances. It can take some time for it to get to a good level and by waiting it will help avoid your fish from getting diseased.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The pond is already cycle and as of now there are about 50-100 tadpoles right now. It's been setup since last November. I was also curious if since tadpoles can live in it does that mean the water is oxygenated enough for fish??? I know that tadpoles and fish don the go well together so I won't put fish in until they all turn into frogs.

Ask a Question