Bees

Reaction score
I have tried watching to see where they are going. No luck. Either they are teleporting themselves or I need glasses. Last year, I evicted some from a field about 100 yards from my porch but I checked and they haven't moved back in there. It was mostly underground. I have been reading up on them and apparently they also like to nest inside walls and crawl spaces and under siding. I have all 3 and am terrified that this may be the case. They really hate me and seem to be menacing me deliberately. There is no way I am crawling in that creepy space under the house and I'd really like to avoid the expense of an exterminator. Is there anything I can do on my own to repel them? Or just make them pack up and leave? I am tired of getting stung. Even my cat got stung.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have noticed a lot of Hornets this year. We were antique shopping and seen one in the store, than on our nightly walk, we seen them. Those scare the crap out of me ...

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
This year here it has been a low population of the hornets, yellow jackets or whatever they are called. I think it could be from our wet Spring and not so warm summer maybe. Have been stung by them in the past here but not this year. Glad I'm not allergic to the stings like my neighbor across the road. She has an eppy pen she keeps on hand always otherwise she will go to the E.R in an ambulance. She can't breath and gets kinda delirious and can't see things very well. Not fun at all!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have never seen a hornet till we were at the antique store. Scary looking things. We had a long drawn out winter and a wet cool Spring this year. But, once Summer hit, it has been hot and dry. Maybe I just never paid any attention before. I use to get stung all the time as a child by those Bees that are in the grass ... I never wore shoes .. lol

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Was it the yellow and black striped kind? Most of the time bees won't bother you if left alone but when we were kids barefoot like we all were we were treading upon them like crazy so guess it was bound to happen. Those were prolly honey bees and bumble bees that were in the grass. Sad thing is they die after they sting us. Yellow jackets, wasps keep on going and can bite and bite and bite again they say.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Yes, the pretty fuzzy little bees. So sad they die ...

We have Carpenter Bees. Hubby hates them and tries to kill them, they are boring holes up in his garage and just recently in the wood of our deck roof. He called an exterminator and when they came and seen the pond, they said "can't do it" They use a powder, he said if the bees get it on them and fly over the pond and drop some, it will kill the fish. But, he was happy to sell it to us and let us apply it ... lol I told hubby he must live in harmony with the bees ... :heartpump:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks JW. I read it. The wood they are drilling in is unpainted wood. Guess I'll fill the holes and do some painting this Fall. Thanks for finding that !!

Ask a Question