Aquatic Lettuce and Bees?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello. I'm a pretty new pond owner, and purchased some aquatic lettuce and a few other aquatic plants. (Including elephant ear & what the laady called aquatic celery.) to put in my small pond for my red-eared slider. However, within a few months the lettuce has died, along with all other plants, except for the elephant ear. Thich slimy 'algae' which appeared to actually be the rotted roots, formed over the surface of the pond. There were bees swarming on the lettuce while it was healthy, 'till when it was shriveling up and brown, 'till it completely died.
I live in the central valley.
Is it just too hot for the plants, and I need to give shade? Did the bees actually feed off the lettuce? Any other tips?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
There are not enough nutrients in the pond to feed them .Just take them out once in awhile and soak them in a tub of water with miracle grow and water and wait for them to revive them selves and then put them back in the pond .You can trim the roots if need be on the plants

Reaction score
Country
United States
There are not enough nutrients in the pond to feed them .Just take them out once in awhile and soak them in a tub of water with miracle grow and water and wait for them to revive them selves and then put them back in the pond .You can trim the roots if need be on the plants
How often is once in a while? (ever other day?)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
nope once every 2 or 3 weeks but the longer they stay in the miracle grow the better .I leave mine in for 5 days or more .Mine in the stock tanks and in my filters and in my waterfall pond.These are water hyacinth .I could not get water lettuce this year

Attachments

• eggplant pond and mulch 034.JPG
    eggplant pond and mulch 034.JPG
    207.7 KB · Views: 259
  • eggplant pond and mulch 013.JPG
    eggplant pond and mulch 013.JPG
    258.9 KB · Views: 219
  • eggplant pond and mulch 019.JPG
    eggplant pond and mulch 019.JPG
    220.5 KB · Views: 239
  • tomatos pond and landscaping 9-2015 050.JPG
    tomatos pond and landscaping 9-2015 050.JPG
    222.6 KB · Views: 231
  • pond leak or  plants 028.JPG
    pond leak or plants 028.JPG
    234.2 KB · Views: 238
  • pond leak or  plants 027.JPG
    pond leak or plants 027.JPG
    220.5 KB · Views: 226
Reaction score
Country
United States
nope once every 2 or 3 weeks but the longer they stay in the miracle grow the better .I leave mine in for 5 days or more .Mine in the stock tanks and in my filters and in my waterfall pond.These are water hyacinth .I could not get water lettuce this year
thank you! I'll do that soon. Nice pond btw ;)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thank you I just rebuilt it last year after moles chewed through my liner .I also went bigger .

Ask a Question