Beneficial bacteria... rant...

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
So I'm cleaning my toilet and I see that my toilet cleaner kills 99.99% of germs and I get to thinking about our beneficial bacteria. Why are they so weak? Take them out of the water a few hours, they dead. No ammonia, they dead. Even wrong temperature, they dead. It seems like you look at them wrong, they dead. And not even a body to bury.

I look at my mouthwash, they kill 99% of germs. OK, I can live with that, mouthwash goes in my mouth and I probably don't want something that kills 100% of germs, that would probably destroy my mouth.

But toilet cleaner, that kills everything. Well 99.99% anyway. So who is is this 0.01% bacteria who can live through that? Whatever it is, I want it. I want that s**t to be nitrifying my stuff in my pond because if toilet cleaner can't kill it, then neither can air or a little cold. But no, instead we get this namby pamby bacteria who dies if you don't feed it EVERY 4 HOURS!

I sometimes wonder if we're the butt of some cosmic joke because as you know, everything that you like is bad for you:
Fried chicken - tastes good, heart attack
Soft drinks - tastes good, diabetes
Beer - tastes good, liver damage
Fats - tastes good, arteriosclerosis, dead
in fact, I can't think of one thing that you like that won't kill you.

Here, let me throw in some "good" stuff for you good living types:
Running - good for your body, total knee replacement
Swimming - good all around exercise, drowning
Carrots - good food, hypervitaminosis a
Apples - good food, choking

OK, I'm out of steam, rant over... you got anything?

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Preach on, Brother Huff. I would add more things that kill you, or cause your faith in humanity to slowly atrophy, but they would offend some of our fellow know-it-alls. I believe the Truth - or the validity of personal opinion - is dying on the internet. For the record, I worked in the nutritional supplement business for 25 years and most of the producers and consumers of those products have only heresay and Google-search regurgitation to support their claims. It's just like pond care; opinions are cheap, everything should be filtered by our own personal experience - successes and failures. This blind faith in internet content kills analytical judgement. But don't take my word for it, it may be bad for you.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
just like my hubby effient meds. good for his heart stent to keep it from getting clogged but caused internal bleeding and he almost died from it ..Gave him blood in the hospital and before that his cholesteral was good and now it has gotten bad again .His blood pressure also has gone up .

Reaction score
I'm reading that people are using Wheat Germ food for spring and fall. I'm just about done feeding for the winter, since my water was at 53 degrees at 6:00pm. So I'll just keep using it for now. Should I get Wheat Germ for the spring or is the All Season food fine? Should I be using a different food for the summer?

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
S'cuz me, but I think you are in the wrong thread.

But since you are here... it all depends on what you want for your fish, growth or maintenance? I'd do low protein for Spring and Fall and higher protein content for Summer. I try and feed my fish different stuff. Check your nutritional info on your fish food.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
John, not everything is bad, lots of people think saturated fat is actually very very good for you, like the Swedish goverment told all it's citizens to quit the low fat diet and eat more saturated fat from butter, heavy cream. bacon, etc, but to cut out lots of bad carbs! The bad fats come from vegetable oil, which turns into trans fat when cooked. Animal fat like lard, also something we have eating since the time of the bible, never turns to trans fats or hydrogenated trans fat! AND THE FAT on that steak is suposed to be the best, cause it contains searic acid which is very very good for the heart!! Read all about it in the British of Journal Medicine!

Reaction score
The comment about the internet (EXcluding this forum) is certainly true. In researching my New Pond Cycling, I found a multitude of different answers. So I fall back to my best resource (you guys), and your years of experience. Thanks for answering us Newbie's even when we ask what appears to be really dumb questions. All input is appreciated.......

Ask a Question