mosquito dunks and beneficial bacteria?

Reaction score
this isn't coming from anything I heard or read. it just occurred to me so I'm asking.

I just about finished my new skippy type filter and was thinking the water is kind of still. I figured I'd throw a mosquito dunk in it just to be on the safe side. but I wondered if it would also kill off any beneficial bacteria I'd be trying to develop later. does anyone know?

also, just from the bit of reading I did find once I thought about it, I read the the dunks release a type of bacteria into the water that kills the mosquito larve. what are the chances that the bacteria they release is the same or similar to the beneficial bacteria I want, so buying the dunks would kinda kill two birds with one stone?

last, not knowing exactly what happens with mosquito larve, does it just float on top? if it did, I guess they might eventually just get poured out into the pond and eaten by the fish (if they don't or can't hang onto something in the filter) so it's not an issue anyway.

any though or answers on this appreciated. thanks.

Reaction score
yes, iv seen them taking bites out of it- some of the larger koi and def the big 3 goldfish (10+inches) have all taken bites - tried them out - then later spit them out....
the smaller koi def want to mimic the others and try also...

Ask a Question