Big koi question

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Is there a size of koi that the blue heron does not bother? Our lake in VA had several large grass carp that seemed immune to herons. Hoping that if you had big enough koi the heron could not eat them.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have read where people say the heron will stab the big fish and just leave it, if to big to eat.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
we just had two heron attacks on club ponds. the ponders sent pictures. big fish with a white hole right at the base of the skull cap on top of the fish both times. when i visited matt mckann's former koi farm in delaware/new jersey, he showed me his breeding stock. there was a gorgous doitsu ochiba that he was preparing for delivery after selling the fish for 25000, and when he went to bag it he saw that the fish mouth had been punctured clean through by a heron. did you know that heron are worth 25000? at least that one was.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
While I was reading and watching video clips about Herons, I read and saw the following. Herons eat more than fish, watched a heron eat a whole duckling just Google it and you will see the video. I also saw a clip of a heron take a too large a fish, it just left it on the bank half dead.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have read where people say the heron will stab the big fish and just leave it, if to big to eat.
I have read the same 32" koi with holes through it and several others

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Our pond is designed so there is no approach for a heron to the pond. These birds usually land near a pond and walk to it. Pictures soon. Almost done. People use double fish lines, netting, floating alligator heads, and sprayers with motion sensors. You can also hang a narrow , tall mirror from a Shepard’s hook so the bird sees its reflection and thinks it’s another heron displaying territorial behavior. The Wind moves the mirror so it looks like ithe bird image moves independently. We also have changed our standard for water clarity so we don’t care if the water is a little turbid. It calms the fish and protects them from detection. Sone folks dye their water blue for similar reasons. Then there is the12 gauge shotgun with the accompanying $500,000 fine.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Our pond is designed so there is no approach for a heron to the pond.
Mr heron has to walk up a heavily planted hill, or down a very steep rocky hill, or in a heavily planted bog, around a farm fence to reach the pond. All the obstruction has never stopped it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Thanks for all the input. I am developing a battle plan to deny the enemy access to our pond. Like all the suggestions. Viewed all the YouTube videos.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Agree, with Addy1, if you don’t want to constantly be adjusting your battle plans a net well up off the pond is the only solution. The herons will figure everything else out.

Herons may prefer to walk up to a pond but they have no problem landing directly on the edge. Fishing line, motion sprinklers, decoys, noise makers, they will figure all that stuff out eventually.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Mr heron has to walk up a heavily planted hill, or down a very steep rocky hill, or in a heavily planted bog, around a farm fence to reach the pond. All the obstruction has never stopped it.

Heron are smart. We have had member report that they mount two fish line strands on posts at 2 and 3 feet off the ground surrounding a 6000 gallon pond and the birds learn to step through the lines. If designed properly, a heron deterrent design works, but it must include masking, physical barriers, and a pond with depth. Dogs help and fences help. We have kept koi for 16 years near a major heron rookery and have yet to see one approach. The lake 100 feet from our pond sports one or two heron throughout the summer, and they leave us alone—-knock on wood. Just think though your design like a heron and it’s possible. The best examples of animal containment I’ve seen are zoos with giraffe held back because the ground has a 4 foot drop that they can’t physically walk over or the cattle road barriers in the western US in paved roads you can drive over but cattle can’t cross. That said even if you think like a river otter, the little killers will still take all your fish out just for fun.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We had our first heron land in our yard this spring. We never thought it would happen because we are so enclosed by fences and trees - not much room to take off in a hurry. But there he was, standing in the edge of the pond. I was so sure we were done for, but oddly he never came back - that we saw. My husband saw him out the living room window and thought I had moved one of my fake herons into the pond. When he realized what he was seeing, he ran for his phone but got there just in time to see him take off.

We have natural ponds directly to the east and west of us and a rookery about 2 miles further east, so they fly overhead all day long. We've always thought the same thing - they won't land here - space is too small for them to feel comfortable. This is from last year, but you can see we are in a pretty tight landing space. He was standing right on the ledge in front of the waterfall, just gazing into the pond.

The only predator who's ever taken fish from our pond was a skunk. He got two of our prettiest koi in two days - made dinner for himself right on the rocks next to the pond and left a pile of scales as his calling card.

August 1 2017.JPG

Ask a Question