Biofalls questions

Reaction score
Digging this thread back up for question. My pond is looking awesome thanks in whole to everything I continue to learn here. As I mentioned in the spring I was cleaning the filter pads several times a week but I stopped doing that and the media hasn't been pushing up. My question is should I clean the pads once a month or on some sort of schedule? Or just let them go? It may be in my head but it seems like the water flow may be down from what I recall it looking/sounding like when the pads are cleaner. I just want to make sure I'm not going overwork the pump should the filter pads get to clogged up.

My water is still looking great!

Reaction score
If you are satisfied that you have enough biomedia to maintain the cycle then id say feel free to rinse them out. I will say this... A dirty filter is actually more efficient at filtering, right up to the point where the water starts going around the filter, rather then thru it.

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight. The filter pads fit pretty tightly into the falls, so snug in fact they would raise up when really clogged so maybe I won't worry about it for now. I just want to make sure that the pump is okay.

The bio bags are very green and brown, frogs seem to love sitting in the top of the falls and in/on the plant baskets. I think they are pooing up the falls but lift the plants up "stir" inside the mesh baskets to flush them a little when they look all gunked up. I know there are a lot of nutrients there but how much is to much for the roots when they get coated? I pull the plants up maybe once a week now just to inspect the roots and the plants themselves.

I found a snail in one of the falls baskets yesterday, where there's one I'm sure there an infinite number more. I was actually looking to buy some to add to help algae control but I won't bother now as I am not having a real problem at the moment and "native" snails seem to have found their way.

Edit: I do want to replace the pads, maybe not this year now that they are cycled but definitely for next year. They are starting to get frail and even tear. Suggestions on where to find media? I've read about floor buffer pads and such. Maybe you (DieselPower) have some insight being not to far from me location wise.

Reaction score
Ya know, I don't know much about where to get filter pads etc cause I don't use them. My filters are just a couple of large decorative containers filled with graval and plants. There is a really cool greenhouse in the Kalamazoo area called Wedels. Lots of really cool pond stuff but kinda pricey as well. They also have a nifty Koi pond. Also, poop covered filters will not contain much good bacteria, as they don't really thrive in that sort of environment, so I'd say go ahead and rinse.

Reaction score
Just joined today and had a response as to where to find the media. Wiegand's Nursery. on Romeo Plank Road north of 21 Mile Road has media in a roll. Bring in one of your pads and they can cut to size. They have different sizes and thickneses. I will be doing soon just to have a spare set when the time comes.

As to the pre-filter that you have been using...what material is screening the water? How far is it from the front of the skimmer (so that it doesn't restrict the flow?) Any info you could provide would be appreciated. We have been struggling with our pond and just can't seem to get the water quality where it should be. Just changed out about 2/3 of the water yesterday, cleaned the pads, vacuumed the rocks (bottom and shelves) and put in new bacteria. Water was getting green - no string algae at all. I have 6 koi (1 larger and 5 smaller). Was concerned that we couldn't even see the fish for the green water, but everything is looking up since the cleanup yesterday. Just want to stay on the right track and try to let nature take its course. Will continue with the bacteria weekly, and the muck control, but try to keep away from the other things we put in the pond - like algae control, Insta-fix, etc. Nothing would be better than to have it all done naturally. It really is potentially a gorgeous pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have to say your pond looks larger than you say and actually looks better than i thought i was going to see .I like the blue water but my neighbor did that and had to pull her pump and I ended up with smurf arms .I did now what i did with my pond hung the pump by a rope off a metal pipe and told her you want blue water you will go to work with blue arms :cheerful: Wish we had places here and gonna look farther down into NC for pond places

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Mechanical filtration and bio-filtration are two different things. You can't tell biofiltration by looking at your filter pads, only by testing your water. The amount of beneficial bacteria that resides on the sides of your pond, inside your hose, etc. is much more than what is on your filter pads so feel free to rinse away.

To answer your question. There shouldn't be any fixed schedule to clean your pads because the amount of gunk that blocks your pad changes over the seasons. Just rinse your pads whenever they're full. I usually rinse mine a lot during the active months and don't have to during winter. I usually can tell by the amount of water that comes down my waterfall.

Ask a Question