Bog addition?

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It was just a thought with the Lotus and I could I always dig it down about 6 -12 inches to get it to the proper depth for a lotus plus the 12" depth of the bog. Will need to think more on this.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Todd, My lotus is in a semi bog situation. The water does not flow up through the media but it does flow through the plant above the media.. The water is about 3" deep and the media is about 14" the lotus has been growing there for two full season and is now in need of replanting and thinning. I should get a few tubers this spring out of it when I move it. It's done the best of all the lotus I have tried. The one key thing I think is important on growing lotus is making sure there are no wrinkles or corners the tuber tips can get caught in. As long as the can keep running in a circle they seem to continue to grow. The moving water however does make it more of a challenge to feed them and get good blooms.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice to know Fishin, I will add more media to mine, less water over the tubers. That will give them warmer water. Mine have about 1.5 feet of water over the tubers.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Larkin, what media are you using in your semi bog area for the lotus? If I understand what you are saying then I really don't need a seperate area for the lotus as long as there is about 3" of water allowed to flow over it. If this is the case I could plant the lotus anywhere in the bog by simply digging out about 3" of gravel and giving it room to grow. Water would still be coming up through the media and the lotus would also be under 3" of water?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
from the net: guess mine were in too deep of water.............adjusting this year

Ideally they like 4 to 10" of water over the pot. Start out in the spring at a shallow depth of a couple of inches over the rim of the pan. This shallow depth will be warmer too. As new growth begins to sprout the pan can be gradually lowered to a deeper depth, but no deeper than 10 inches, if need be.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Since the bog will be sitting about 6' higher than my pond if I lose power it will siphon all the water from the bog back into the pond, causing my pond to overflow into the overflow creek out into the yard. I could put a check valve on it but do not want to restrict the water flow that much. I was looking for something more like what we use on our sump pump lines. It is black rubber type check valve, but it does not require that much effort to open the flapper. I need this to fit onto a 2" pipe.

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
I know this is old, but I just built my bog above ground. It was easier to build up than dig down. Mine is about 18" deep and gets shallow the closer it gets so the pond. The plants are taking off like crazy too.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Fantastic, just love mine, I can totally muck up the pond and it recovers.

Reaction score
t-mann are you letting the lotus grow freely in your bog or still putting in a container?

addy do you leave lotus in your tubs to over winter or move them to main pond on the bottom?

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Don't ask I didnt put my lotus in the bog yet. I have them growing in 10g pots filled with water right now. I am going to give it a shot here in the next few weeks once I get one that has a few leaves on it. I am starting them all from seed.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
[quote name='don't ask' timestamp='1339899750' post='124643']
t-mann are you letting the lotus grow freely in your bog or still putting in a container?

addy do you leave lotus in your tubs to over winter or move them to main pond on the bottom?
[/quote]

Mine stay in the tubs that are in the 300 gallon rubbermaid container, I leave them there over winter.

left of picture is the lotus tub, I have around 4 buds ready to open, once it decided to warm up they started growing like crazy

DSC03541.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Man those are some huge looking lotus pads in there addy! Looks really nice in those tubs and I know it was work getting them in there just right but your honey did good getting those!

Ask a Question