Bog building, also called upflow filter, eco filter, wetland filter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am finally ready to add plants to my pea-gravel bog, but I don't want to put all the soil from the pots into the bog. Is it OK to wash the plants until they are bare-root, and then gently put the roots into the gravel? Or is there a better way?
Thanks
Bob

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I would recommend leaving most if not all of the soil root ball intact. Removing all of the soil and planting bareroot will likely damage the hair roots (which are almost microscopic). When these are damaged the plant loses the ability to take up nutrients and growth may be retarded. The soil of the root ball will not migrate into the gravel.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yup - leave the root ball. It helps to hold the plant in place until it starts rooting and as @Meyer Jordan said - if anything, the dirt will be washed out of the bog, not remain in.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have done both, wash off and leave on. The few I left it on, the dirt stayed in a clump in the bog.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It appears that I will need to add a UV light to my pond/bog/stream setup. The five tiny fish that are presumably swimming around in this pea soup I haven't seen for days! Does anyone have a recommendation as to which light is best? I've got 3000 gallons to clear up.
Thanks
Bob

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My bog keeps the pea green away, that is one issue I never have, but I do have a ton of plants that suck the nutrients out of the water!
It appears that I will need to add a UV light to my pond/bog/stream setup. The five tiny fish that are presumably swimming around in this pea soup I haven't seen for days! Does anyone have a recommendation as to which light is best? I've got 3000 gallons to clear up.
Thanks
Bob

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Clear pond !!! My pond began to clear at 7 weeks: new pond, new bog, and at 8 weeks was crystal clear. That was two days after my new UV light arrived!

A friend donated five 3-to-4" goldfish, one white, 4 red. They seem happy enough as they race around the pond.

Here are some Pix:

The pond and the end of the stream:
IMG_4466 4x6.JPG

The bog:
IMG_4478 4x6.jpg

Ligularia, Hosta, Cardinal Flower, Astilbe etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Here are some of the plantings, with the stream at the right:

IMG_4475 4x6.jpg

I've been playing with the rocks in the stream, creating pools, and so forth. Like being 7 instead of 75!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looks wonderful! I love your fishing guy!

Thanks tbendl. As I'm sure you know, it's the fun end of a lot of shovelling, concrete-making, design and re-design, etc. I'm pleased with how it turned out now.

The fisherman is from a recent trip to Vietnam. Supposed to be made in a Vietnamese marble-carving shop, but who knows where it may have been done ...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Well this forum just blew my well destined pump and high dollar filter out of the water. Guess it's back to the drawing board to add a bog lol. Thanks for all the great advice!

Ask a Question