Bog filter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I put normal Lilly's in a big filter I have them oready growing just wondering if I can move them into my bog filter ?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
You can, if the water depth is sufficient, but lilies aren’t big nutrient consumers, also their roots could clog up the bog as I’ve seen lilies with long roots. I wouldn’t put them in there but that’s me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Can I put normal Lilly's in a big filter I have them oready growing just wondering if I can move them into my bog filter ?
I currently have about 4 or 5 callas a canna and some rain lilies in my bog along with several hostas and various other plants. I haven't tried any Asian or day lilies yet. But plants seem to thrive in there.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1653080497185.gif
and welcome @Paul12345
I don't have a bog so can't help ya. There are tons of plants that would work tho. Others will come to let ya know hopefully.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Addy has an extensive plant list with some notes near the start of this thread:

I just started a small bog last year, Canna lillies did good for me, cattails did good but root system too aggressive, took over.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
all depends on your bog i have a 8 inch deep water area in the bog where i have a couple lotus . if i wanted i could place a lilly there sure i doubt it would be too much of a problem

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
You can grow almost anything in your bog.

Here are some I can think of:
Marsh Marigold, iris, umbrella plant (or Papyrus), hostas, Creeping Jenny, Parrot's Feather, mini Cattails, various grasses, Fiber Opitic plant, water forget-me-not, aquatic mint, Watercress, Lizard Tail, etc, etc....

You can even grow vegetables in there.
Last year a branch broke off of one of my tomato plants. I stuck the broken piece into the bog gravel. It grew fine and I got some cherry tomatoes from it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It is way nuts here it grew out of the bog to the small bog the stream jumped the liner to the yard. it grows like wild fire here

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sure smells good when you mow it! I have it, easy to pull from the bog, out in the yard don't care, it mows nicely.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
It is way nuts here it grew out of the bog to the small bog the stream jumped the liner to the yard. it grows like wild fire here
Sure smells good when you mow it! I have it, easy to pull from the bog, out in the yard don't care, it mows nicely.
Humm, must be the soil or the climate here. It goes away for the winter and I can only see very little of it popping up as of now.

Ask a Question