New to bog filter

Reaction score
Country
United States
I keep reading about this. Still not real clear. I'm missing something. I just have a 100 gallon above ground stock tank. How would this work?. Please keep it simple. I'm not familiar with this.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
watch

Hopefully this link will work for you. If your pond is above ground, something like this could work. The link should take you to a YouTube series by The Pond Digger. There are many different ways to go about this. But essentially, you circulate your old water up through the bottom of a gravel bed. Good bacteria grow in the gravel and consume the waste from the water. Plants on top of the bog filter look pretty and also do their part consuming the waste products. The water then spills back into the pond. I hope this is helpful!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you so much. I'm a senior trying to figure this out.. We had a farm. Big ponds. Now tiny backyard one...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Thank you so much. I'm a senior trying to figure this out.. We had a farm. Big ponds. Now tiny backyard one...
Hi Mary..I too am a senior and have downsized from owning a 7 acre pond to a small (900 gallon) backyard pond...At least I can reach my plants and fish in this one:) I would never live where I couldn't have a pond at all...An above ground stock tank is great because you don't have to bend over all of the time to tend to it (my back kills)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A bog filter certainly won't hurt your system but the rule is it should be 1/3rd the surface area. so lets say your your pond is 2 feet wide 4 feet long or 8 sf so 1/3rd of that is how big your bog should be if not 50% because your on the small side and anything introduced to the water changes the water greatly . it's like adding a tea bag to a small tea cup or the same tea bag to a gallon sized cup. The small cup changes greatly while not as much to the gallon.

ALL a bog is is lets use a flower window flower box though it's not tall enough its just an example as the bog should be a foot or more of pea stone,
back to the window box you run a pipe along the bottom with a hole bunch of holes 1/4" drilled into it and facing downward as a average. your plumbing comes up over the edge and connect to the drilled pipe you then bury the pipe under a foot of 3/8" pea stone gravel. the water then needs to fall back into the pond. that's where it gets a little tricky. a low edge is all that's needed. controlling the water not to leak out is the trick

Ask a Question