Bog winter

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Here's an interesting observation - winters when we have heavy snow fall, we have lots of algae growth in the pond. HOWEVER it's a completely different type of algae than anything that we see at any other time of year or after a milder winter. I don't know how or why that happens - something that prefers less sunlight? no clue - but we have observed it three times in ten years. (I hope this isn't year four!)

Our neighborhood ponds have suffered big fish kill offs after heavy ice and snow, however we also have issues with those getting run off from lawns that surround the ponds. In spite of HOA requests not to, the homeowners persist with heavy fertilizer and weedkiller on their lawns which I have always suspected affects what's able to grow in the pond. The ponds require yearly maintenance as a result - lots of overgrowth in the spring and summer which I suspect may lead to big die off in the fall and winter, depleting oxygen under the ice. Just a theory though...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Here's an interesting observation - winters when we have heavy snow fall, we have lots of algae growth in the pond. HOWEVER it's a completely different type of algae than anything that we see at any other time of year or after a milder winter. I don't know how or why that happens - something that prefers less sunlight? no clue - but we have observed it three times in ten years. (I hope this isn't year four!)

Our neighborhood ponds have suffered big fish kill offs after heavy ice and snow, however we also have issues with those getting run off from lawns that surround the ponds. In spite of HOA requests not to, the homeowners persist with heavy fertilizer and weedkiller on their lawns which I have always suspected affects what's able to grow in the pond. The ponds require yearly maintenance as a result - lots of overgrowth in the spring and summer which I suspect may lead to big die off in the fall and winter, depleting oxygen under the ice. Just a theory though...
same here; I've been more active re the HOA but despite I HAVE a pond and it's crystal clear water, they don't tend to want to listen very hard to my 'plan'. I think its more a matter of not many care that much. Still, I've got some ears open a little...

I read re ice/snow and algae that 4" or so is okay as some light still gets through. It's at deeper amounts that algae suffers. That said, looks like there are some alga that require less light and can still grow, as per your evidence. Might also be you get the other algae because with less light, the 'good/normal' type you have can't get as quick a foothold. In my salt water aquarium, when the lights are growing old and there's less of it, I get a different color/type growing. When new/brighter, the algae is nice and bright green.

Wish Meyer were here; he'd know.

DigdirtJen

Here Fishie Fishie Fishie! :)
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Last night I moved my 2 air stones and my pump up about 14" from the bottom. I don't have a way to regulate the water flow so i'm concerned that even though my pump is raised some, the amount of flow from the bog/waterfall will stir the water too much. Should i just unplug the pump and filter for the winter? I'm also concerned that the hoses that run from the pump to the filter, and from the filter to the bog may freeze as they are not buried.

The filter i used is a uv pressure filter...it has the light (duh), a biological filter, and a mechanical filter all in one unit. If i unplug this for the winter, will it be ok just sitting in it's hole in the ground, or should i pull it up and bring it inside?

Thanks for the help...you guys have such great advice! :)

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
UV pressure filters should not be left out if they can freeze. The light will get damaged and the canister can crack.

Ask a Question