addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yeah! really looking forward to how well this works!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
Yesterday, we went up to a small seasonal lake above Klamath Lake, it's only about 1' deep, but might cover 30 or 40 acres. It's a beautiful spot with loads of wild flowers, however, lots of folks go there to target practice, so there are shotgun shells by the thousands, all sorts of cans, bottles, various sheet metal, etc. used as targets, and bright orange clay pigeons scattered everywhere. Most are near the road, but not all. Cows wander through as well, so it's by no means pristine. So many people are PIGS! Some trash dumped there as well.

We figured that it wouldn't hurt a thing to bring home a variety of marginal/wetland plants for our new rain garden/wetland area. What we got is a nice selection, hopefully all will survive the transplanting. All are from areas that are seasonally submerged and that stay wet year round. These we planted around the east and south sides.

Desert Shooting Star, Dodecatheon conjugens
Ballhead Waterleaf, Hydrophyllum capitatum (flowers at base)
Plantainleaf Buttercup, Ranunculus alismifolius
Unknown Marsh Grass
Unknown blue flower

We also have Mares Tail, Hippuris vulgaris to add towards the front and around the end of the stream and a nice clump of Small Fruited Bulrush, Scirpus microcarpus, which went near the fork of the Y shaped bog. The west and north sides will get Cattails, Typha latifolia and Tule Bulrush Scirpus acutus.

So, they don't really look like much here, but at least it gives an idea of the progress.

80_9716 bog plantings.jpg

I added an inch or so of well aged sawdust/bark from an old mill site to help hold the moisture in and built up the low areas around the bog so that it sits down about 2-4 inches below the surrounding terrain. So far, so good!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Very cool! I like looking for plants growing in wild areas near me - I figure if they can thrive on their own, the should be able to survive me and my messing around!

Ask a Question