Bottom drain raised pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
First time pond builder. I intend to build a 1.5m x 2.5m x 1m wooden raised pond. The only area I can place the pond is on a tarmac area, so no digging.
Can I somehow put in a bottom drain or am I restricted to using drainage through a ‘tank connector’

Any help gratefully appreciated

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! Not something I have done but I imagine you could if you built up the bottom of the pond with fill to level around the pipe. Otherwise, you would have to trench the tarmac.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Welcomeoj.gif
@Tramsden
I don't think you need one but if you really want one I'm sure someone here can tell you how to do it. What kind of fish are going in there and how many? I like Shubunkins!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks - yeah I’m planning on shubunkins/goldfish using a power filter. What is the stocking recommendation?

Is there a chance I could put 2 koi in there with a big filtration system.

I’ve had reef tanks in the past so not a novice in the filtration area.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That comes out to around 1000 gallons. You probably could squeeze a couple koi in there if you left out the goldfish….IMHO. But since this is your first pond, why not stick with goldfish to start out with. Get used to pond-keeping, then build bigger! Koi (and goldfish) produce A LOT of waste, and you might be spending most of your time fighting with your water quality rather than enjoying your pond and fish. Again, just MHO, but not saying it can’t be done.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Like mentioned above @JRS would be the simplest solution. Having a bottom sump/drain could be a P.I.A. if it is truly at the bottom of your environment. I have one at the bottom and I have to clean the pump basket/screen every week or so. I am planning adding a riser to the bottom drains (3).

this is what i used, just to give you an idea.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-R...-Screw-In-Chrome-Drain-Cover-423202/305248416

doing a above ground environment can be very challenging to control especially water temp, its just not slap together, add water and circulate. As you would know with a reef tank set up.

I wish you the best of luck. as with anything read, read, and read again. the only dumb question is the one not asked.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
in my 300 gallon container pond i split the intake via t that sucks from bottom of tank and a no niche skimmer. Pump is periha 16000

I tried to mark in red. I dont have substrate so i can gently sweep fish waste towards intake that rests on bottom. Takes 30 seconds, keeps it clean.

Attachments

• IMG_6901.jpeg
    IMG_6901.jpeg
    367.6 KB · Views: 11
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You could always build your drain on the deck. IN SAND . so once you get the drain set build around it with sand. place your walls and underlayment rubber and underlayment

Ask a Question