bottom drain sticker shock

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I sell this one for $89 + shipping.
View attachment 78962
:) I bought an aerator and KoiToilet from you just last Sunday.

Now I have to figure out how to install all of it. That's the thing about building ponds, once you make a decision on something, it starts the entire next round of questions.

Margo

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Bottom drains are easy lol it's just a matter of physics water will always find its own level if every thing is at the same level ie top of pond and top of filter all will run right if pond higher than filter, filter will over flow,
filter higher than pond filter will not completely fill ,
draw a side veiw of pond and filter box,
take a rule and draw a straight line across the page to simulate the water level and hay presto you will see how it works

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
2015-03-13 17.21.52.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Since I purchased the 4" drain should I plan on attaching it to the skimmer box using a 4" bulkhead fitting? I had thought that I would reduce it to 3" and then use a 3" bulkhead in the skimmer but then why did I buy the 4"?

And is good to have a ball valve somewhere?

Sorry for all the questions - I've read everything I can get my eyes on and I've got the installation of the actual button drain down but it's the how to actually plumb it into the system that has me now.

And I'm seriously debating if I should try to get a holding tank system in there somewhere also. But that really makes my head swim! :confused::confused:

Margo

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I'm planning on 10 x 15, four feet deep max with some plant shelves. About 3,500 gallons I'm thinking? I have a EasyPro TH250 - 4100 gph.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I can see your pipe size problem
Keeping your bottom drain 4" you need at least 2500 gph through it to keep it clear.
If you reduced it at the bot drain to 3" you would need 1500 gph to keep it flowing clear

The holding tank or settlement chamber would help
Then you can run a 4" or 3" pipe from your bottom drain to the tank
And a 2" or 3" line from the skimmer to the tank

Then your pump would sit in the holding tank and go 2" to your filters

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I just emailed you instruction for installing a BD.
:) I bought an aerator and KoiToilet from you just last Sunday.

Now I have to figure out how to install all of it. That's the thing about building ponds, once you make a decision on something, it starts the entire next round of questions.

Margo

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Om my small pond I go from a 4" BD to a settling chamber and then to the filter. The water from the skimmer goes to the pump to the waterfall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Correct I placed my pump in the skimmer housing be neath the filtet media,
or you could place a separate sump box again at the same level as pond water pipe the skimmer into for said sump box ( any large plastic container will do)
Place you pump in it and pipe to where ever you wish remember water will find its own level and in a bottom drain or skimmer application the pump empties and the pond fills

Ask a Question