j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I just put these in my pond and they are doing a great job so far in my 2400 gal pond. Easy peasey too

IMG_5385.JPG

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
How big are those, jw? I can't get a sense from the photo?

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I used a similar box filter, but found I had to clean it too often. It now lives in the snow bank behind the waterfall. In the Spring, (if Spring ever comes, -10C by Thursday), I may remove the finer of the two filter screens and give it another go.

Those cylindrical filters looks pretty neat, particularly if you're able to put them in series to double or even triple the overall capacity.

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep I had a box filer I made out of a plastic plant pot around 20gal size and put a flat piece of media in the bottom and set my pump on that and then surrounded the pump w/ more media and that thing gunked up pretty fast also and was heavy to lift out of the pond. These cylinder ones are not supposed to clog that fast and are not that heavy to lift out and Colleen on here has been using them for quite awhile and says they are great. Mine is sitting down there on the bottom doing fine and my water from the falls where the output goes has not slowed down one bit. I have mine doubled and yes you could triple but then I think the more you add the harder to get out of the pond. She has 2 sets of them doubled that she uses.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You mean w/o any tubing? They might. I never tried that, I have tubing from the input of the pump to the prefilter but I will have to check next time I pull mine out cuz why would I need the tubing if it will connect right to the pump. I do like the tubing tho cuz you can move them around to different areas of the pond when you have long tubing attached. Maybe Colleen will know as she is the one who turned me on to them. She has a few in her pond. You can screw 2 together but I don't know if there is a way to put one on one part of the tubing and then add tubing to the other end of that 1st filter and then add another filter and so on. It could get quite cumbersome dragging them out that way unless you could just get in your pond and take them apart that way to clean. I just wanted something easy and lighter to pull out to clean and these fit the bill.

Ask a Question