Bought house with koi pond/turtles - help!

Reaction score
Hi. My husband and I just bought a house in Los Angeles with a koi pond which we thought was going to be empty. Turns out three turtles and tons of tiny light colored fish are living in it. We know nothing about koi, ponds, turtles or fish. The seller had only lived there a year and left a note saying "the koi pond is a bit of a mystery. here's some fish food" next to an old coffee can containing brown pellets. We have no idea how often and how much to feed the pond and whether other food is needed. If you could help identify what kind of turtles and fish these are I would really appreciate it. Will the fish grow? Do the turtles eat them? I threw in some of the brown pellets and the fish nibbled on them. We will also call a local company to check out the pond to make sure it's in good shape. Here is a photo of one of the turtles and the tiny fish.
Thank you!

Attachments

• email_2014-09-25 17.03.30-1.jpg
    email_2014-09-25 17.03.30-1.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 510

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
embroider.gif
to our group.

Hard to tell on the fish. If they are full grown they might be rosey reds. Koi are quite large, so unless they are all fry, i.e. babies they are not koi.
Feed less than more, if they are rosey reds they do fine living off what falls into the pond, bugs etc. Or just tiny amounts of food. You don't want to over feed the pond.

How big is your pond?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
rebsy
Think the turtle is a red eared slider. Fish are probably some kind of minnow type that won't get big.

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies! Do you think the turtles just live off of what's in the pond or do I need to buy turtle food?
I also measured the pond, the main square is 8ft by 6.5fit and then there is a little passage to a 30" x 30" pool.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
There is a member with the user name turtle mommy on this forum. I'm sure she could be a big help with info on the turtles. I agree they look like red eared sliders, a water turtle. I think turtles can wonder off, so wonder how long they've been in the pond? They may travel on:)

Those little fish don't look like koi. Welcome and stick around, you may grow to love ponding:)

Reaction score
I agree they look like Rosy Reds or fry of another sort. But if they were fry, the larger parents would likely be noticeable. Either way... the turtle could eat the fish if it's hungry.

Reaction score
Aww he is a cute little turtle! Can he get in and out or is there a spot where he can sit on? I don't know about turtles. Looks like rosy red minnows and they can live off the land, or pond in this case. I have a dozen and love to watch them swim around. They are also very friendly to me in the water, curious! @Mmathis can handle all your turtle concerns!!!

Ask a Question