Bought new fish, now old fish dying.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
New fish have built up immunity to what ever they carried in with them.

Believe what you will but adding new fish without quarantine is not a good idea for this very reason. After water quality issues it's probably the second cause of fish illness and loss.

When you've kept several fish for many years you learn these things. And some of us learn them the hard way :(
I think quarantining is a very good idea but in this case if the new fish have a "killer disease" that kills other fish in a couple of days but they are immune to it then the quarantine would only have delayed the inevitable. the immune new fish would have presumably still be deadly when released from quarantine. Anyway as the OP did not do that then I suggest a close watch on the new ones now they are in the pond. By the way I don't know of any disease that a fish could have that would kill all the other fish in a pond in a couple of days but not kill themselves! What disease are you thinking of? Parasites don't act that quickly.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Also, I've had new goldfish in quarantine look completely healthy. Then after a week or so they have visible ick spots. This is the reason for quarantine. Hopefully you will recognize the signs of illness/parasites and treat the fish while in quarantine.

I also added a new goldfish (who by the way looked healthy to me) to an aquarium without quarantine and killed all of my favorite goldfish fish (this was years ago) and this experience was a hard lesson learned for me. I will never add fish without quarantine and I would never recommend it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
Also, I've had new goldfish in quarantine look completely healthy. Then after a week or so they have visible ick spots. This is the reason for quarantine. Hopefully you will recognize the signs of illness/parasites and treat the fish while in quarantine.

I also added a new goldfish (who by the way looked healthy to me) to an aquarium without quarantine and killed all of my favorite goldfish fish (this was years ago) and this experience was a hard lesson learned for me. I will never add fish without quarantine and I would never recommend it.
Agreed with everything you said but in the OP case the new fish are healthy (as far as she can tell) and the existing ones all died from something (not sure about "all"). This is a strange case I guess that is my only point to the OP. Keep an eye on the new fish.

Ask a Question