BOX TURTLES REALLY CAN CLIMB - AMAZING!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yesterday, while working on the pond-to-be, decided to put one of the boxies in the pit to keep me company. Would you believe, I watched him CLIMB about 18"-24" of an almost vertical dirt wall!!

Needless to say, he went right back in his enclosure :) I'll post a pic once hubby helps me get it off iPhone to the computer.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I guess if they couldn't do that out in the wild they'd be stuck forever whenever they fell into a hole in the ground.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
They sure do, and I always just thought the claws were for digging! I'll never take their habitat walls for granted.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
i've seen the two I have climb the chicken wire fence. It's 24" straight up and one of them climbs up and things hangs on for a while in the morning almost like basking. they are neat to watch. these two have dug a tunnel in one of the caves that's getting pretty impressive as well.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Larkin, sounds like your rescues are recovering -- glad to hear it!

Of mine, some like to dig down in the soil; some prefer a pile of leaves. Some like to soak; some just wade through the water; some like to be sprinkled; some can't stand to have water hit them. Some like to climb the obstacles in their habitat; some find ways to go around. Some are pacers; some travel with a purpose. When I had "Draco" out in the dry pond, he walked around, checking it out, started trying to find a good place to climb. Explored, experimented, explored, experimented...... "Is this a good spot? No. Let me check this one out....." When I put a different turtle, "Charger," out, he was in a panic state: hyper pacing, "Get me OUT of here!"

Ask a Question