My poor box turtles! Weather-confusion!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Spring is a highly anticipated time of the year for those of us who keep outdoor reptiles — in my case, box turtles. Boxies go into a form of hibernation (called brumation) in mid to late Fall. They find a nice, safe place to dig in for the next 4-6 months, and owners don’t see them again until it warms up in the Spring. And it’s not until Spring time that we know if they safely made it through the winter or not, as they are vulnerable during this time.

I’m sure that mine are weather and nature-confused by now! They were just beginning to emerge from their winter brumation — I have accounted for 4 of the 7 — when we suddenly get hit with a wet, cold spell! Now, personally, I am enjoying the weather since we don’t see much here in the way of winter as it is. We were already getting temps in the 80’s, so this cool spell was a refreshing way to begin Spring. Oh well, at least everything in their habitat is growing, so when they do finally come out, they’ll have plenty of natural cover for hiding and snacking. And as it warms back up, I can go back to being a proud and doting TurtleMommy again. I’ve already been working on getting their turtle-bog cleaned up (leaf removal, etc.) and ready for them. Silly turtles!

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Saw one of the DBT’s swimming across the pond bottom at end of last week. Haven’t seen the box turtle in the enclosure, he is still probably buried in the pile of magnolia leaves, I leave under the magnolia tree next to the pond.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Poor turtles! I think we are all a bit confused w/the crazy weather this year! We are supposed to have Spring for one day here today and then back to Fall w/the cold rains!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I hope your turtles are ok, and soon you can enjoy them again!
smridingturtle.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
Poor turtles! I think we are all a bit confused w/the crazy weather this year! We are supposed to have Spring for one day here today and then back to Fall w/the cold rains!
Speaking of our bad weather, how are your pond lilies doing j.w? I should get my first one this week, and I was contemplating weather to put it in the pond or start it inside? Any signs of life yet?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
An update: as of today, all but one has shown up, and the final one is probably there — I just haven’t spotted him yet. As expected this early, they are still sluggish, but all appear healthy, with normal [for box turtles] behavior.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Speaking of our bad weather, how are your pond lilies doing j.w? I should get my first one this week, and I was contemplating weather to put it in the pond or start it inside? Any signs of life yet?

Could have sworn I answered this already but anyways I have a few little pads trying to uncurl and grow but no blooms poking up yet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
Could have sworn I answered this already but anyways I have a few little pads trying to uncurl and grow but no blooms poking up yet.
Sorry, I did ask this on another thread. I must have missed your reply. Thanks j.w, guess I will just put my new lily in the pond.

Ask a Question