Boycotting gas on April 15, 2011?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Johnnie, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Johnnie

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Yep it will cost some to replace the batteries, but if I get a "new" car for that and can go another xxx years why not. I have heard 100k miles is the replacement point. Right now I am at 50k or so. Not even a door ding and not allowed on the roads if they are salted lol.

from my prius forum

because of automatic features and a dedicated computer designed to take care of and monitor the battery, expected failure rate for life of vehicle (they used 180,000 miles) was less than 1%

The HV battery is computer controlled to keep it's charge at no lower than 40% and no more than 80% SOC (State of Charge) in the Generation II (2004-2008) Prius.

Prius HV battery replacements have been rare in the 2001-2003 model, and perhaps none at all in the newer models. The US warranty is 100,000 miles in most states and 150k in Calif. and a few other states.

Cost estimated to replace in the 1500 range and maybe less as time goes by

addy1, Apr 19, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. Johnnie

j.w I Love my Goldies

I'm keeping tabs on these new fangle dangled gas saving cars cuz I think my 1991 Subaru is on it's last legs. I'd love to drive a car that gets 50miles to the gallon. This car of mine has been a fine car tho for lasting so long but then it's got pretty low mileage for it's age.........122,000 [​IMG]

j.w, Apr 19, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. Johnnie

laughing jw................It is a sweet car, lots of room in the back, with the seats down you can even sleep in one. Lots of little storage compartments.

That is low mileage for a car that old, wish we could all say we had low mileage at older ages lmao

addy1, Apr 20, 2011
  4. Johnnie

j.w I Love my Goldies

Yes addy it's always good to have a car one can sleep in as w/ the way things are going it may be our only place to sleep when our gov't gets done w/ us :(

j.w, Apr 20, 2011
  5. Johnnie

lmao no kidding jw! And it accelerates nicely too, not as nice as honey's corvette, but when you hit the gas it takes off with the batteries and engine kicking in!

addy1, Apr 20, 2011
  6. Johnnie

j.w I Love my Goldies

Good to know you like it so much............is there anything you don't like about it or anything you would like to see in the new model yrs for the future?

j.w, Apr 20, 2011
  7. Johnnie

Nothing I don't like about it, and I have not really investigated the newer models. Will look for you see if anything triggers.

Do, if you buy one, get one with the back up camera. I went from a loaded escalade to a loaded prius (at the time 7k more, sold the escalade and paid it off lol), mainly wanted the gps, all the air bags and the back up camera. Not sure what is in the base model now, but will check it out.

addy1, Apr 20, 2011
  8. Johnnie

j.w I Love my Goldies

So you need the back up camera cuz that back window is too small to see out of I'm assuming for safety. Maybe they should make a bigger window. How does it go in the snow? I don't suppose they'll ever have all wheel drive as that would suck up the gas more. I have a Subaru wagon and I do like the room but for better mileage I would be willing to lose some of that :rolleyes:

j.w, Apr 21, 2011
  9. Johnnie

j.w I Love my Goldies

Wow I was just reading about the new 2012 Prius that will have the lithium Ion batteries that will last for the life of the car. It will be the plug in hybrid and you can drive 13 miles just on the battery and plug it in for 3 hours and use 1 kilowatt per hour of charging. I wonder how expensive those new charging stations will be to charge your cat at? And how much does a kilowatt of electricity cost on the average? Hmmmmmmmmm, things to think about :rolleyes:

j.w, Apr 21, 2011
  10. Johnnie

It has the limited slip traction control package, front wheel drive, it does well.

The slope of the car is made for air flow, it is hard to see what is directly behind the car. The camera I like because of the wide angle it shows you cars coming from down the parking lanes. I don't use it that much for what is directly behind me.

The back with the seats down, it has almost as much room as a small wagon

addy1, Apr 21, 2011
  11. Johnnie

bphung

J.W, average nation wide it cost about 10 cent per kilowatt. Prius is a nice concept, but as of now, they still do not know what to do with all the old batteries soon will be replaced from hybrid vehicles. They will ended up in the landfill and thus hybrid vehicles will have bigger footprint than my Chevy avalanche 1500 which will be almost entirely recycled. My commute vehicle is a Honda Civic with bare minimum options, get close to 40 MPG and alot cheaper than a Prius. Money saving from price different and battery replacement is far out weight the extra MPG.

bphung, Apr 24, 2011
  12. Johnnie

DrDave Innovator Moderator

That cost is a bit more if you exceed what some beancounter thinks you should use and you get hit with a higher rate because you exceeded it. I get hit with $.21 and then $.23 per KWH as I go over the limit. You almost have to live in a cave with no appliances to meet the baseline of $.073 per KWH. So my average this past month came out to $.20 per KWH.

What do you think about fuel cell technology? It is my understanding that the only byproduct is water. I know we are a long way from having an inexpensive cell for production. I also wonder what the lifetime and recycle timelines and effects are.

Your thoughts?

DrDave, Apr 24, 2011
  13. Johnnie

j.w I Love my Goldies

Very interesting, wouldn't it be nice? We have plenty of H20 here in Western Washington
    [ame]

or how about aluminum?

[ame]

j.w, Apr 24, 2011
  14. Johnnie

phillyofish

its ridiculous that the oil companies are reporting big profits.

Exxon made over 50% profit.

we need to get more control on the price gouging.

phillyofish, Apr 25, 2011
  15. Johnnie

shakaho

I've never heard of anyone who had to replace the hybrid battery. Mine is warrantied for 100,000 miles. I don't know what the warranty is on the newer ones.

What are the shortcomings of a Prius? It's not a great handling car -- OK, but not great. I think it's because of the weight of the battery in the back. The view out the rear window sucks, but the back up camera fixes that. It's certainly harder to see out the back of an SUV. My husband, who is 6'4" finds the leg room tight on long trips. He wants to get a hybrid Camry. I'll stick with the Prius. I will look at the new Prius wagon. I can carry 8' lumber and 10' pvc pipes in my car, but I wish the hatch opening was a little bigger.

shakaho, Apr 25, 2011
  16. Johnnie

j.w I Love my Goldies

They have a Prius wagon? Ohhhhhhhh, that is sounding good and I read that the new Prius will have a battery warranty for the life of the car :cool:
    Hyundai or however you spell it has a model that gets around 43 miles per gallon and might be cheaper than the Prius but don't know about quality :confused:

j.w, Apr 25, 2011
  17. Johnnie

shakaho

It's coming out some time this year. Next year they release the plug-in model.

shakaho, Apr 26, 2011
  18. Johnnie

koiguy1969 GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!

this says it all.......

Attached Files:

koiguy1969, Apr 26, 2011
  19. Johnnie

j.w I Love my Goldies

Ha Ha koiguy :) Gas actually was down a couple cents to $3.79 :rolleyes:

j.w, Apr 27, 2011
  20. Johnnie

taherrmann4 Tmann

You need to do some calculations to see if a hybrid vehicle is really going to save you money over the standard vehicle. There are calculators out there that can assist you and show you whether it makes sense.

I waiting on Hondas FCX clarity to be the choice going forward. The biggest drawback is the infrastructure (hydrogen stations), they have been testing it out in california for the last three years.
    http://automobiles.honda.com/fcx-clarity/

But now that cars are getting more fuel efficient the government is not bringing in as much taxes on the gas and they are just as abusive to the roads so they are looking at charging hybrids a fee every year to make up for it. The consumer can't win!!!
    http://www.dailybreeze.com/latestnews/ci_17913251

taherrmann4, Apr 27, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question