Aghhhh....I've got babies....gasp!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I went to so much effort last fall to rehome all, but five koi and remove gravel and rocks from my pond. I know my koi spawned twice, but frankly thought they'd eaten all the eggs and I lifted the plant nets and cleaned them of eggs. I just got home last night after being away for three weeks, to discover I've got at least a dozen koi babies!! Hubby said he'd seen ONE.

My pond is 1700 gallons and I feel I only have room for the five. How will I ever catch these babes to re-home them? They are fast, darting hither and younder. I know they are cute, but I don't feel I can responsibly sustain more than five.

How can I catch these little ones? I'm hoping to not have to drain the pond. Thoughts?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Wait until they get bigger and then rehome them .I wait until there big enough to catch

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You do have time. They won't start to impact your fish load for a while yet. Just don't get attached!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
plus they really help at eating everything in the pond that grows ,they are little pigs .I gave all of mine away and now water is not as clear as it was when they were doing all the house cleaning

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I would let them be for now and see what you get over the summer. Re-home next spring when others are building new ponds and they would be easier to rehome. Plus you get to see what they turn out being. 20-1 inch koi do not produce nearly the waste 1 20" koi will. In fact I wouldn't be afraid to say that 100 baby 1" koi still would produce the waste that 1 20" koi will. The little guys will really make little difference in water quality at this point and as they grow they do become easier to catch.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have read, go out with a flash light at night, with help, one shines the light on the fish, one nets.

Ask a Question