addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yep filter falls count, is it a pump in the skimmer? I don't know if you have the room you might want to add some more filtration..........pads......batting..........etc.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You could get water lettuce, hyacinths, a few more lillies, elephant ears and even watercress. I don't have parrots feather this year but in years past mine was not in that deep of water, not sure if this is a cause for it dying off below water level.

Reaction score
Parrots feather likes a little water movement. You could try swapping it with one of the arrowheads next to the waterfall.

Does your waterfall have other media in it or just a pad? You can make an easy DIY filter out of almost anything. Check the stickies in the DIY section. You could also just try adding more or better filter media to the waterfall. If you go this route then be sure to ask if you have any questions.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think the Parrots feather is ok as it's usually just the top part sticking up out of the water that is green. I think that's what mine does............let me run out real quick and take a peek.......................Ok I'm back and I took a picture of mine and it looks just like I thought w/ most of the green on top and brownish under water:

Attachments

• IMG_1854.jpg
    IMG_1854.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_1856.jpg
    IMG_1856.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 229

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I would swap one of your pots of parrots feather with a pickerel rush near the water fall, as stated they like moving water. Also try adding a nice Hardy lily it will help shade the pond and really give a nice place for the fish to hang out under. if you'll get at least 50% of the ponds surface covered with plant leaves you'll see a big difference in water clarity in a good running pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
mine grows lousy by the waterfall..............best in still water. go figure

Reaction score
In my skimmer I have my pump and 1-14"x16" pad, almost 2"thick. Sometimes I put batting in front of the pad. With the batting I have to change it VERY ofter because it cloggs and blocks the water from making it to my pump.
I just have 3 big bags of lava rock with some plants in my filter falls.
With all of the good reviews on the diy filters, I'd love to add one but I don't think I have a place to put it and I would have to replumb my set up.
Anybody have a pic of the inside of their skimmer?
Thank you for all of the replies and ideas. Please keep them coming.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Are you using a savio filter, If so don't use batting before the pre filters, it will starve your pump and cause pre-mature failure. If you want to try something that works far better try Green Matala, THE REAL STUFF! No substitutes on this. It filters better and is easier to clean. Also if you'll put some type of japanese matting or matala under your lava rock ( needs to be one solid sheet per layer but you can add multiple layers if you wish) it will help clear most debris before it gets to the lava rock. this will help the lava rock do a better job. lava rock works good as long as it doesn't clog. I would recommend cleaning the lava rock in a container of pond water twice a year, once in the spring when the water is just starting to get to 50 degrees F and again in the late fall when the water drops below 50 degrees F. this will keep the bio-load stable during the time it's most needed and then the filter falls can just act as a mechanical filter the rest of the cooler months as the bacteria aren't really doing anything once the temp drops below 45-50 degrees anyway.
I run 1 layer of white matala, then 2500 bio-balls, then another layer of green matala in the filter falls and works great even on a fairly heavy stocked koi pond.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
mikeinpgh said:
would plants in front of the skimmer do anything? If so, what kind?

You don't want to block a skimmer at all other than maybe a simple guard to keep larger fish from getting caught inside. Plants in front of the skimmer will only cause additional debris to get in the leaf basket and cause even more clogging.

Reaction score
I took out the filter pad out from under the lava rock this year because I didn't want it to clog. Was that a bad idea?
I think I do have the Savio filter. I have to go look at the book. When my pond is really bad, the filter pad in the skimmer cloggs.
This sucks. I'm thinking my set up is just a bad design. I need a better idea with out redoing everything.
Thanks,
Mike

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Here is how mine has been set up since may of 2009,

[ame]
I backflush once a week and clean in the spring and fall, My skimmer is the compact version, wish I had gone with the larger size but this was my first time using a skimmer and filter fall so it was defenitly a learning experience.

Reaction score
Cool. Thanks for the video.
So you do a water change every week? Do you think the plants in my water fall help?
I didn't get a chance to work on the pond today, but tomorrow I think I'll have to do a water change and back flush my filter falls.

Ask a Question