Build a pond they said....

Reaction score
Wait till you get some fish LOL
I know I know I know you want a fishless garden pond......but ....... give it time....... with 5k gal you could have some reeealy nice koi.....you already did the hard part right? fish just complete the picture.....just saying:whistle:

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Because it's Friday, (well it's not but it SHOULD be so I'm going to go ahead and ramble)... These are my "fishues....
Spent 5 hours in Hawaii trying to drown a fresh water turtle in the ocean....
I can't go to zoo's because they make me cry, (seeing animals all caged up).
We have a, (and this is a metric term)... S#!t ton of Herons Sandhill Crane, Hawks, Flying rodents with talons, and the occasional flying Wolinda (but I digress).
I have trouble keeping my teenager fed and watered and she at least empties the dishwasher.
I named my pet rock as a child, lost it, still sad.
I think fish get out of the water and wander around at night doing bad things...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
You are hilarious! On the point of caging, though... I'll probably take flack for this, but I firmly believe that caged animals with enough leg room and proper care are actually pretty happy. If you observe an animal in the wild that has found a stable, dependable food source, you're not going to see that animal traveling very far away from it. The ones that do are hunters. It's all about the food. So, what does freedom mean, exactly? Ponders usually take great care of their fishies, and try their best to grow happy little communitites. Now, predators would be a problem that I would worry about too. Maybe if you just got some small mosquito fish. Have you every seen a Rainbow Dance? I put some in my pond to add variety. Those guys move extremely fast, and they are pretty small. Predators would have a hard time. They are colorful too with bright reds and blues. I know you can get some online at livekoiforsale. Just a thought... Oh, and if you don't feed them, they will simply go after your algae and mosquito larvae.

Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@tbendl Well, did you ever get that cool you-know-what?

Here's my recent "work area," when I was trying to set up my QT and get a TT filter built. Who says you have to wait until the project is done :wacky:

image.jpg

I was just tossing my empties everywhere -- at least a dozen, plus something in a foam cup....... LOL!

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
No flack... Just ignore the voodoo doll I'm building of you right now...:D I have yet to see a caged animal with enough leg room. I'm not saying they aren't happy. I just tend to anthropomorphise all creatures in a creepy unhealthy way. Although both my cat and dog do speak to me, especially when I have Doritos's, but yet again, I digress.
And I agree, all of the posts that I have seen here on this forum indicate people who take great care of their fish. I'd be the scumbag with the floaters.
I'm not even going to get into all the posts about people losing their beloved fish. ~Dear Gosh man, I drink, (well I try), sniff glue, and take Valium, what do you think would happen after a massive fishing spree by some winged creature? I might as well mix the kool-aid right now.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hahahaha oh my gosh TM, we are going to have to run an intervention soon.
Although (whispering) just between you and I, I was making Tiramisu last night so it was a little Amaretto for me, a little in the mascarpone, a little more for me, a little in the mascarpone, a lot for me, what the hell was I doing?
Oh that's right, I was posting about my pond building saga...
Which reminds me, I have to make Tiramisu tonight. Lol

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Sorry -- never cared for Tiramasu, but Hubby's fave cake is Wedding Cake, made with Amaretto. I use "extract" of.... Can you use the real thing?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks all. I really do enjoy the work but it makes me laugh at what I expected it to be versus the reality of it. Thank goodness for all of you answering questions, providing tips and insight, and sharing your stories and pictures. Except @RobAmy, @pecan, and @addy1 They just piss me off with the perfection of their ponds... Hahaha I tease, but they do have some stunning ponds. (I bet THEY enjoy a cold beverage near bubbling water) :(
Ha, Ha thanks but you forgot morning coffee by the pond, the cold beverage is at night by the pond with the fire going :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Just to digress a little further, I've seen caged software engineers (and have been one myself) who are very happy. Just give them a chair with wheels on it - instant leg room!

Ask a Question